NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Laser collimator advice

Hi,

a bit new to all this. Got a laser collimstor for my celestron explorer dx130

i put the laser in and I don’t see a point in the target. Is that because it’s dead perfect ? 

see attached pic. I turned laser up bright so it showed . On dimmer setting I see nothing so I’m guessing it’s in the centre 

thabks for all help 

169A861F-97AD-4AA0-900C-0D034C157FD4.jpeg

Hi @Gummy and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

Assuming your 'scope/OTA is not a 'Bird-Jones'* type... then that looks OK to me!
If it is... there is a video showing you what to do and also how to collimate your collimator on YouTube.

Sorry I cannot help much more.

* 'Bird-Jones' is a type of reflector that has a magnifying element somewhere within the focus/drawtube assembly.

2 minutes ago, Philip R said:

Hi @Gummy and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

Assuming your 'scope/OTA is not a 'Bird-Jones'* type... then that looks OK to me!
If it is... there is a video showing you what to do and also how to collimate your collimator on YouTube.

Sorry I cannot help much more.

* 'Bird-Jones' is a type of reflector that has a magnifying element somewhere within the focus/drawtube assembly.

It's NOT a bird-jones! 

https://www.celestron.com/products/starsense-explorer-dx-130az

• Thanks 1

Yeah I looked at you tube videos and they seem to show the laser dead centre when it’s there . So I was guessing that maybe the type I have is different. Or faulty.

its not a bird jones 

Edited by Gummy

Is it adjustable? Try turning the brightness down and do the collimation in a darker environment.

Also - at full brightness, shine it onto a light surface as far as you can go (5-10 m) and see what the beam looks like. (send a pic)

10 minutes ago, Gummy said:

6 metres away onto wallA0B1A292-2A7A-4988-8DC6-E395C093A9CE.thumb.jpeg.9bf0da104dc7a124077198f356487937.jpeg

My bad... I meant a close up of the diffraction pattern. As per the following (10 m distance for me).

Just want to confirm that the laser isn't duff.

IMG_20200725_170136064.jpg

If you make a 'V-block'; (i.e. piece of timber and four long nails at an angle); rest the collimator on that. Then with a sheet of paper on the wall, place marker on it where the 'dot' is, then rotate the collimator a few degrees and check its position. If it is off centre from the first 'dot' the collimator may/will need collimating. If you can go further back, better still.

Edited by Philip R

2 minutes ago, Philip R said:

If you make a 'V-block'; (i.e. piece of timber and four long nails at an angle); rest the collimator on that then with a sheet of paper on the wall, place marker on it where the 'dot' is, then rotate the collimator a few degrees and check its position. If it is off centre from the first 'dot' the collimator may/will need collimating. If you can go further back, better still.

As per:

IMG_20200701_232451596.jpg

IMG_20200701_232446862.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok did laser test and the laser was all over the place - thanks for that tip .

always tough as a beginner when equipment is wrong as you think it’s always yourself.  Thanks alll

• Like 1

Does the laser have 3 adjuster screws on the side of the body at one end. Like this:

image.png.d714db26bf0dd6986ab7cf84b8f719f1.png

They might be covered up with this black rubbery filler. If you have them, you can collimate the laser collimator! Adjust them very slightly using an allen key - one at a time (like adjusting the primary mirror) until you can rotate the laser and the spot stays in one place.

• Thanks 1