Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Choice of DSLR

Lexi

Hi all, 

I'm new here. I own a skywatcher 200p on an eq5. After many nights of visual observing I'm finally ready to venture into the realm of astrophotography. Ive tried with my smartphone but it's a real hassle in my opinion. So I have decided to invest in a DSLR. But the choices are vast and im unsure of what to buy. I'd just like an all-round camera in which i can take decent planetary and DSO photos. I'd also like to use it for everyday use. 

Ideally it would have an lcd screen for viewing and recording capabilities. What do you guys use? 

Welcome to Stargazers!

I started out in much the same way, an EQ5 and a 200p.  I added motors and then got one of Juan's (https://www.cheapastrophotography.com/) astro modified Canon cameras.  I chose a 700D with the flip screen but the screen became redundant when using a tablet with DSLR controller and even more so with Astro Photography Tool (APT) as the camera controller.

You may be told that you won't be able to focus a DSLR with the 200p and that astro modding will make the camera useless for daytime photography.  Neither of these are true in my experience and Juan gives a good demo of this on his website.

Along the way I did change to stepper motors on the EQ5 and then eventually upgraded the mount, added a coma corrector, some filters, tried different guiding arrangements (presently using a Canon specific OAG and an ASI 120 mini) and lots of other little tweaks and mods.

If you are on a budget a secondhand low shutter count Canon which can be modded later might be a way in?

Edited by almcl
  • Like 1

Hi @Lexi and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

+1 for the advice given above by @almcl. Many imagers here and elsewhere are using Canon DSLR's and a few; (including myself); use Nikon. Though at the time of writing I have not taken the trip into the 'dark side' of it using my DSLR's. I have done a few basic astro-images in the past with a few digital compact cameras that I have owned or still have and the results were not brilliant, but OK'ish.

8 hours ago, Lexi said:

What do you guys use?

I use a 2nd hand astromodified 600d, purchased from Juan so +1 for advice given by @almcl. I'd also add to make sure the model will be compatible with APT.

I found this site useful too, when picking the best ISO value to shoot with:- http://dslr-astrophotography.com/iso-values-canon-cameras/

Cheers
Ivor

Thank you all for your advice. I will proceed to order one from Juan's page, it's exactly what I was looking for. What is amazing is that you can still use them for daytime photography.