What televue eyepieces with their difffere t fov sizes are the go to pieces for an 8 in sct like the edge HD.  I have a delis 10mm and I need to grab a couple more eypieces and I have ideas that i want the best but the delos m.j i have is 72 degrees. I was gonna get a 14mm delos and maybe a 17.5 but the naglers have an 82 degree.  Which is better. And the the ethos with their 100 degrees is look like. Lol. I was gonna get the televue 2in diagonal to replace the cheap stock one as it comes with a 1.25 adapter. 

100 degrees looks fun, and the bigger the better right.  Then why isnt everyone going for a bigger the better we wonder?

Now the next time you go to a cinema get a seat in the front row, and see if its as an enjoyable experience as it is if you were sitting about 2/3rd of the way up. Come to think of it why are the cinema premum seats 2/3rd of the way up and not on the front row? :D

68 to 82 is generally considered the most comfortable maxiumum wider viewing and "pretty" framing.  82 is about the level that many consider the spacewalk experiece, even that is too much for some. 100 is fun (as i'm guessing 120 is even more fun) but not long eye straining, migrane induced sessions and if the eyepeice over time doesnt give you a headache, its price tag certainky will :D

Edited by DeathWarpedUp

Seriously though, when you say better, you have to be more specific, better at what?

You have a 10mm which is a very nice eyepeice, look through it tonight. Think what would you like to do better than this partiular eyepeice on a particular target? A bigger field of view, a higher magnification, a combination of both or the total opposite.

People will keep suggesting eyepeices in any price range you care to add, but ultimatly many are relying on your guidance as to what you are looking for.  Eye peice viewing is a fairly personal thing. You are potentially looking at peices of art of different shapes and sizes, how would you like each picture framed, is up to you its entirely subjective. People can only guide you on their experience, not yours.

I did suggest to you (If I remember right), buy a zoom, it can just be a moderatly cheapish one , this will allow you to experience a number of magnifications and set you down the right road for further purchaes, it might also become an essential part of the kit as it serves its own purposes as many will attest to. Its all very daunting this stuff especially at TV prices so its best to think of it logically as to what can be deemed a safe buy. :) 

Good luck with it, you got the scope. Dive in the waters not too bad.

Edited by DeathWarpedUp

3 hours ago, DeathWarpedUp said:

Seriously though, when you say better, you have to be more specific, better at what?

You have a 10mm which is a very nice eyepeice, look through it tonight. Think what would you like to do better than this partiular eyepeice on a particular target? A bigger field of view, a higher magnification, a combination of both or the total opposite.

People will keep suggesting eyepeices in any price range you care to add, but ultimatly many are relying on your guidance as to what you are looking for.  Eye peice viewing is a fairly personal thing. You are potentially looking at peices of art of different shapes and sizes, how would you like each picture framed, is up to you its entirely subjective. People can only guide you on their experience, not yours.

I did suggest to you (If I remember right), buy a zoom, it can just be a moderatly cheapish one , this will allow you to experience a number of magnifications and set you down the right road for further purchaes, it might also become an essential part of the kit as it serves its own purposes as many will attest to. Its all very daunting this stuff especially at TV prices so its best to think of it logically as to what can be deemed a safe buy. :) 

Good luck with it, you got the scope. Dive in the waters not too bad.

To be specific in what I'm asking..

.I had to think about it. I want another eyepiece.  I only have the 10mm delos.  I dont even count that 40mm it came with.  Maybe it has a use idk.  But ok I saw Jupiter and Saturn with the 10mm.  I need something to look at the other cool [removed word]. Like I want a breathtaking view of the andromeda galaxy.  You know I want other cool [removed word] that's out there.  So I figure that the 10mm isn't gonna be big enough for me like the andromeda galaxy. But I want a piece that's gonna make it and other things look great and big as they can be with a nice background. So what would I need for that. I like the delos I have. Idk it's in my head that delos are the best so I was gonna get all them eventually.  Someone offered me a es 14mm 100 for 350. But I'm hesitant and you know why because it's not a delos lol.  I appreciate your help. 

I have both Ethos and the Delos eyepieces.

The Delos was developed from the Ethos to offer longer eye relief, a lower price, the same optical performance and still a generous 72 degree field of view.

I use the Ethos with my 12 inch dobsonian and the Delos more with my refractors.

They are both superb eyepiece ranges. Pentax XW's are a lower cost but still excellent alternative to the Delos. I have some of those as well :smiley:

Some people do not like the 100 / 110 degree fields of view so the Delos are for them - they are very comfortable eyepieces.

Naglers are an older design but still very good. There are a number of different Nagler types which cover 1.25 inch and 2 inch formats with focal lengths from 2.5mm to the huge 31mm Type 5 Nagler.

There are other ranges from ES, Baader and APM that perform almost as well and their cost is lower so it is worth doing some research before buying. If you have an SCT the F/10 focal ratio may mean that other brands perform pretty much as well as the Tele Vues.

The Andromeda Galaxy is a very large object so a low power, wide angle eyepiece is what is needed. Something like a 30mm 82 degree or a 40mm 70 degree would be what to use for that object.

For a used ES 100 eyepiece I think £200-£230 is a reasonable price.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Shaun Sr said:

To be specific in what I'm asking..

.I had to think about it. I want another eyepiece.  I only have the 10mm delos.  I dont even count that 40mm it came with.  Maybe it has a use idk.  But ok I saw Jupiter and Saturn with the 10mm.  I need something to look at the other cool [removed word]. Like I want a breathtaking view of the andromeda galaxy.  You know I want other cool [removed word] that's out there.  So I figure that the 10mm isn't gonna be big enough for me like the andromeda galaxy. But I want a piece that's gonna make it and other things look great and big as they can be with a nice background. So what would I need for that. I like the delos I have. Idk it's in my head that delos are the best so I was gonna get all them eventually.  Someone offered me a es 14mm 100 for 350. But I'm hesitant and you know why because it's not a delos lol.  I appreciate your help. 

OK cool, so this is what I would do, based on larger targets.

See what diagonal you have 1.25 and/or 2" and ensure you are looking for the right ep's based on the diagonal size, otherwise they wont fit. (2 to 1.25 adaptors are available however) 2" is bigger and offers  a wider view

Your scope  is a c8 so 2032mm, F10 scope, so those are its limits, that you want to add into the links below

Spend a bit of time with these links below sticking in various ep's you like the look of against your scope spec, as said in my previous post, think of it like how close you want to get to the big cinema screen 68 to 82 is comfortable viewing for most people however they are most likely 2" eps, so you need to check they fit your diagonal.

The 1st link allows you to add a bunch of ep's so you can see the diameter/size of each ep against a target, Bear in mind for wider than 32mm you will need a 2" diagonal. Ideally for wide stuff its 34mm/68 degree up to 40mm and around there is a good place to start.  For the bigger stuff like nebula you will also probably want a filter most likely a UHC and/or an OIII thse come in 1.25 and 2" sizes also and screw onto the eyepeice or diagonal, recomended makes for these are Astromik or Lumicon, others are decent too.  Food for thought :):)

https://www.stelvision.com/en/telescope-simulator/

Saying thatif the plan is get all the delos eventually, start at the top and start buying them all one by one, job done :)

Edited by DeathWarpedUp

As John said, in the price ranges you are talking about, the TV's or explore scientific or a decent Baader, you can't go wrong. Personally to save a few coins, I'd go for an ES 34/68. However as said earlier, you need a 2" Diagonal to use this . If you plan to get one of those I recommend a clicklock (sometimes called a twist lock, or positive lock or various names), as opposed to the traditional screws, as they hold the bigger more expensive ep's securely, however lets not open this can of worms just yet :D

Dude, these are all well trodden paths from people who know their craft (speaking of John here :) ) They have spent a fortune trying things so you and I don't have to (arent they kind). Even if you buy something recomended and don't know quite why, if you keep at the hobby, one day it will hopefully make sense...and if not the resell value on these things is pretty decent anyway :D:D:D

Edited by DeathWarpedUp