NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

4" Charles Frank Newton 1950s-60s

I'm a newbie to the forum so, hello.

I've just come into possession of a 4" Charles Frank Newt with a stonker of the original cast iron stand, having only owned binoculars to date with an interest in their historical development. 

It belonged to my sister-in-law whose science lecturer parents bought it for her second-hand as a starter telescope in the late 60s.

Unfortunately, it's missing the eyepiece which seems to be 1 1/4" diametre, taken from the inside of the threaded focus barrel which is still in place.

Is it possible to find a replacement, or do modern push-to-fit alternatives work satisfactorily? 

Just regarding an item which I found most interesting, is that the finderscope is a Lee Enfield sniper scope with broad arrow marks, probably from WW2 as it is a no. 42 Mk1 rather than a no.32.

I see from the history notes that the company bought and auctioned a lot of army surplus stock, having made items to order for the military. Perhaps the 4" reflector version was made using a combination of army surplus and company parts? 

I would love to hear any thoughts about how to move forward with the project.

scope5.jpg

scope4.jpg

scope3.jpg

scope2.jpg

scope1.jpg

The eyepiece fitting is 1.25" RAS (Royal Astronomical Society) thread, 16 threads per inch.  The aperture will probably be just a bit too small to accept standard 1.25" fit eyepieces, a little filing might work.      🙂 

If you want to keep it authentic, brass RAS threaded eyepieces come up from time to time on ebay.   I bought (and re-sold) a couple, and found they would just fit into a modern 1.25" diagonal, which gives one an idea of the overall diameter.

Thanks for your replies and I really appreciate the knowledgeable insights - I did wonder what the 'RAS' descriptor implied!  I have ordered a basic modern  1.25" from ebay as a starting point and will proceed from there.

For context,  I have a static van in a small, coastal site outside Ballycastle on the north Antrim coast beside Fairhead (prominent basalt cliffs) opposite Rathlin Island, and close to Carrick-a-Rede which is an official Dark Sky Discovery Site, known for views of the Milky Way and the Aurora Borealis.

I'm hoping that I can return the Frank to working order to enjoy those night skies!