Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Used equipment?

Hey guys, how is buying used for telescopes/mounts? I have a budget of 500-700 and decided that i should spend it on either a 8-10in dob or a eq mount. Still havent made up my mind as i do have 24-1000mm covered with my dslr lenses (500mm reflecting lens with 2x tele converter) and am having a hard time picking between astrophotography and observing. anyways if i decide on one, where can i get used gear? I cant seem to find much on typical used for sale sites like ebay or craigslist. Im guessing there are sites/for sale forums for this hobby?

I know I've watched astrobuysell (UK) and done well there.

There's lots of reports using SGL, but realised one needs over 50 comment likes (I think it is) to gain access to this area.

Have the 500mm tamron mirror myself (on apsc Nikon) and enjoy the odd photo, but at f/8, other than the moon and bright planets requires good tracking on EQ mount, obviously its not the common way of doing it but works ok

Avoid poorly described or dusty looking lots (unless you really know what you're looking at), any self-respecting astronomer who has looked after their equipment won't let it get dusty or not be able to answer basic questions.

Edited by jonathan
  • Like 1