Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lynx Astro Coupler (FLO) - what’s at the end?

SimM

The cable I need is to extend a PSU (so needs to be male to female) for a Sky Watcher Mount and also a ZWO camera.

“Lynx Astro Silicone Power Cable 2.1mm DC Jack to 2.1mm DC Jack with Coupler”

Is this a cable to go 5.5 x 2.1 to 5.5 x 2.1 male to female?

With a male to male coupler?
Simon

Edited by SimM

I had a reply from FLO. The cable is 5.5 x 2.1 jack plugs male to male but with a twist - the coupler holds them on e.g. to some mounts.

So not what I wanted...

I have noticed that most regulated PSU have typically:

1. Mains cable that plugs into the PSU brick;
  2. PSU regulated to provide 12V - I have one that provides 12V @ 6A and is rated 80W;
  3. Lead to a plug e.g. a 5.5 x 2.1 male plug - suitable for a SkyWatcher or similar mount (+ve 12v) or a ZWO or QHY dedicated astro camera.

My mount requires a GX12-2 connector which is a screwed on 2 pin connector. It's a reliable system connection and I can buy a FLO cable that provides 5.5 x 2.1 to GX12-2 (ordered).

For my astro camera - a ZWO OSC camera I have the same PSU - the idea was to separate one PSU for the mount and one for the camera cooling and USB Hub.

What I have noticed is that many of these PSU "bricks" have a long cable from the mains but have a limited length from the brick to the camera or mount.

A length of 1m or 110cm seems quite long until you realise it's connected to a rotating equatorial mount. So an extension is required...

FLO make a 1m cable but it's 5.5 x 2.1 male - male e.g. it's not suitable as an extension.

Without an extension it's still possible to connect up a PSU, but the short cable rquires careful positioning of the PSU "brick". I found I couldn't put the PSU on the tripod spreader and also connect it to the camera on the back of my scope.

In the end I ended up hanging in a bag (the handbag) from an Azimuth bolt - so far from ideal. A better solution is to keep the cables loose and free. A 1m extension will make all the difference.

Of course, a cable will have to:

1. Keep going in cold weather so needs to be flexible;
  2. Have a reliable connections;
  3. Not have too much resistance to drive a mount without too much voltage drop.

At the moment FLO are evaluating creating such a product. The ideal location for a PSU is not on the rotating parts of a mount, and ideally also not on the mount.

The cigarette to mount cables are usually much longer e.g. 1.8m long - so no problem to keep them safely on the floor - protected but with maximum access to a scope.

Thoughts?
Simon