NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC 6857 Cygnus

vineyard

Hello,

So I tried imaging things in Cygnus for the first time these last few days gone by.  My goodness its rich up there isn't it!  Tried the the North America Nebula first and then realised that with a tiny chip like the ASI178MC, it'd take me forever to do that as a mosaic (each little section with hrs & hrs of data).  So I figured I'd wait for the larger targets until I get a larger chip size (am on the scout for an ASI294MCPro).

And instead turned my sights on a smaller target NGC 6857.  I haven't been able to find out much about it other than its c magnitude 11 and is not a planetary nebula (unlike originally thought apparently).  And does have HII rich areas.

Anyway, this is v much w-i-p - need a LOT more data to start getting the more dispersed nebulosity but will go back to it when the clouds disperse to try and get to about 12hrs of data at least?

Cheers,

Vin

NGC6857_5h12 integration_downsampled.png

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

So I added some more data last night to this, but with a CLS-CCD filter combined with a UHC filter (to try and mimic a tri-band).  Followed the same processing routine more or less (but can't remember the precise levels from last time).

It looks like there's more colour in this image.  Had to crop it a bit more b/c I didn't rotate the camera around for last night.  One day I'll get a cooled camera!

The processing is still butchery but the difference in tone seems palpable?

Cheers & stay safe all,

Vin 

NGC6857_7h48 integration_downsampled.png

I really wasn't happy with the 2nd image above - truly awful processing.

So I tried again :)

I think this is better & I'm call it a day on this particular object (until I get a cooled camera - this mono image w a 10" shows the area much better 😂)

Cheers.

NGC6857_7h48 integration_downsampled.png