Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CELESTRON PS1000 HOW TO SET UP

I've got  a Celestron PS1000 and although I have had it over 2 years I haven't used it.  I don't know how to set it up.  All I have done so far is levelled the tripod and screwed the telescope onto it.  Other than that, I have no idea what bit to twiddle or move next.  Can anyone help please?  I live in the UK.  I tried watching a video of a different make of telescope but it wasn't basic enough.  I do not have a smart phone, we don't get a mobile signal.  I don't understand how you can set up the finderscope (picture is upside down) by setting the cross hairs on something as far away as possible, but then look through the eyepiece on the side viewfinder thing to look at the same thing...the first one obviously then moves.

Edited by EDSMITH
Added a bit more information

Try reversing the order :

Point and focus the telescope on a distant object.

Lock the axis so that the scope doesn't move.

Now adjust the three screws on the finderscope to centre the same distant object. The three screws need to be tight when you've finished aligning.

You mention smart phone and mobile signal. I'd guess you've been watching videos of more expensive mounts that can be controlled from a smart phone, doesn't apply to yours.

Michael

I see that this is a Newtonian reflector on an equatorial mount. That is a pretty generic arrangement, so you should try again to find a helpful setup video, or try to find and download a .pdf of the instructions for the PS1000.

The first thing to do is to take it outside and adjust the finderscope as michael8554 describes.

If you need to know what the various knobs on the mount do, twiddle them and see...  One knob should give a slow motion about the lower (RA) axis if you lock the RA clutch, and another should give a slow motion about the upper (declination) axis if you lock the declination clutch. If you free the clutches you can swing the telescope at will.  With the clutches free, make sure the counterweight is attached and the telescope etc roughtly balances about each axis.

Now you should be ready to look at something in the night sky.  If you want it to track by moving the mount around one axis rather than two, you have to do a rough 'polar align' but this is not essential for a first look.