NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Getting ready for the weekend

With comet C/2017 T2 PANSTARRS due to pass close to M81 and M82 this weekend, I decided on the rig I want to use, but thought I should test it - using the old style Celestron off-axis guider I was able to fit my TSFLAT2 field flattener at the correct distance to obtain a flat field on my TMB105 refractor.  In theory!  Only Astronomical twilight for me now, but a lovely clear night tonight, so gave it a go.  And yes - a flat field with round stars into the corners even on the full size image. 7 x 5 minute subs with my Canon 700D (modded) at ISO1600.  Fingers crossed for a clear night out of the three possibles this weekend.

Cheers

Peter

Test.jpg

• Like 5

Lovely image !

I had a look at Panstarrs last night up not far from M81 and M82. It's still a decent comet to observe - magnitude 8.8 but quite condensed. I saw those three galaxies as well :icon_biggrin:

Comet SWAN is just too low for me just yet, unless I wait up really late.

Thanks, John.

North Somerset - probably about 3 1/2 degrees further South than me, so still almost full darkness for some of the night.  Best of luck over the weekend.

Roll on Swan, but it won't be easy for us!

Cheers,

Peter