Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Christmas Goodies get a run in.......

Last night at about 09:30 the clouds magically parted ( its been cloudy here since I dont know when ). It was a bit too late to go out anywhere but as luck would have it the moon appeared in the best position for me ( South West ) allowing me to use the biggest window in the flat and the one that opens W - I - D - E and very handily the window next to where the two scopes sit in splendour :)

So I opened the window nice and wide, froze to death in my own lounge, put on a fleece and had a quick go with the Christmas gifts of a 13mm Baader Hyperion and a 2" x2 Sky-Watcher ED Barlow. It was also the first real target since the scope was flocked so lots to test out.

Flocking -

Well I got the big ol' SW-200 into position - it never gets any lighter and I'm sure its put on weight - anyway I dragged it into a good position, plugged in the SWA 38mm and took a peek. WOW !!! The flocking really seemed to have made a difference. The contrast was much stronger and the view lacked a sort of 'washed' out effect it shown before. The moon was quite small compared to the FOV but the detail was amazing and the contrast was very noticeable especially the edges of the shadow on the moon against the sky. Really stunning. Now its been some time since I used the SW-200 on the moon with the 38mm so I wouldn't bet my life on it but I am pretty well sure the view was much better post flocking. It was like someone turning up the resolution by a few notches. It seemd ok before but post flocking the view seemed to have more 'depth'. I'll have to try it at a Star Party this year of theres another SW-200 around thats unflocked to be sure.

Baader Hyperion 13mm EP -

First go was with the baby Celestron Nexstar 4SE - the view was pretty good but at 13mm the view was magnified enough to pick up the thremals around the flats and consequently the view wasn't as good as it might well be. None the less the Hyperion was much more comfy to use and with a good view of the moon. Ok I know the moon isnt exactly a test of an EP but it was that or nothing. I liked the view through the Hyperion and it was a lot more comfy than the standard Plossls I have.

Next up was plug it into the SW-200 and have a peek. Small problem here the 13mm when plugged in using the 2" fit wont come to focus. I took it out - put the 1.252 adapter in and voila all working fine. The view was a bit brighter and crisper through the 200 but then its an 8" scope versus a 4" one and an 8" refelector at that. Happy overall with the Baader and cant wait to try it under a decent sky and targetted on a DSO.

Sky-Watcher 2" x2 ED Barlow -

Had to have a go but this produced a few problems. Firstly with the 13mm Barlowed the magnification was so high that thermal currents REALY messed the view up. Secondly the 13mm wont come to foicus using it without the 1.25" adapter ( which I would have expected given the fact it wouln't pull focus without the Barlow either ). On toip of that when the 38mm EP was plugged into the Barlow the weight ( the two together weigh 3lbs ) seemed to strain the focuser. The SWA 38mm is 2lbs of weight and when extended out on a Barlow creates a fair bit of force on the focuser tube.

Focus probs will be corrected either by changing the focuser tube on the Moonlite OR more likley having an extra shim on the Moonlites mounting. Focus is only short by about 10mm.

Opticron iMagic 10x50 binos -

Technically my partners present but hey - I had to test them out didn't I ? These were really nice. The soft rubber coating gave a nice grip and they fitted well into my hands. Took a scan at the moon and some nearby stars and they seemed great. Nice contrast to the views and probably the first ever pair of binos I have gotten a good view with. I used to have some Zeiss ones that were expensive but I could never seem to get a good view with them - always had a kind of double vision effect and they were uncomfortable too. The Opticrons worked fine and happy to say my partner loved them too and was really impressed by how much of the moon she could see. I like the view so much I am almost inclined to get a HUGE pair of these for holidays and I probably will.

Anyway thats it....all I need now is the foam for the flight case to put all this lot in.

Archived