NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telescope Aperture theory in sky bortale scale sky’s

Supernova74

Hi all another cracker of a day sunshine wise lol if get this much nice weather have to purchase a solar scope get the best of both worlds .Anyway I better not bring another topic regarding controversy over highest usefull magnification as everyone has there opinions and views however sometimes folk can be set in there ways I’ve only been on stargazers lounge for around a month or so now and enjoy sharing topics and points of veiw everything related around our kit we use and Astronomy and it’s impossible to know it all.ive often wounded for a long time now and I’m not sure this topic of interest has been discussed on stargazers lounge in the ideal world we all like to live in the darkest sky conditions and so far the best I’ve seen is when I was around 18 years old a place absolutely the middle of no where a village called nordelph (sounds very lord of the rings ) this was in Norfolk and clearly see why it’s called sky country as you could often see constellations sooner than my current location as the climate was so flat so was easier observable the nearest town was downam market and was only small so light pollution in that neck of the woods was very low and March was the next major town even further away it was that dark could not even see my hand in front of my face and remember still clearly to this day a meteorite falling and approximately 300 yards away was an old galvanised barn which the brightness was so intense it lit up the barn so can imagine according to the bortale scale rating must of been a very good 3 and was so many stars it was often hard to disinguse star pattens.so getting to the point at the time I had a celestron SPC 8 Schmidt cassagrain so at my current location which is a bortale rating 6 in theory would the 8” out perform better in a class 3 rating good sky conditions then let’s say an 12” in class 6 rating class conditions when seeing is at best obviously