Moonlite focusser for Bresser N203 Newtonian?

I have had a Bresser 8" Newt for about 12 years and always hated the awful rack and pinion focuser!  I'm getting back into astronomy again and want to fit a Moonlite CR2 crayford focuser to it.

I have some questions, but first a picture of my scope with dimensions:

I have some questions:

1.  The base of my focuser at 3.5"x3.9" is bigger than the Moonlite at 2.9"x3.5" - how do I deal with this?  Will I have gaping holes in my scope?

2  The travel on my focuser is 8cm (3.14") and while I don't ever recall having to wind it anywhere near all the way out for focus it looks like the longest drawtube Moonlite do is 2.75" and their normal one is 2"  Do I really need such a long drawtube?  Is it just a question of trying the eyepieces I use and checking how much travel they need to achive focus?  If it's less than 2.75" or even 2" then I am good to go?

I'd be very grateful for any replies.

Kind regards,

Saxon

Telescope geometry.jpg

If it is a matter of holes closer together on the Moonlite, it should be  a simple matter to get a CnC machine shop to cut and bend a plate of 1/8" aluminum, drill countersunk holes from the bottom side for screws to hold the focuser to the plate and then holes that match the holes in your scope.  We do similar things for experimental aircraft components here all the time.  There's a CnC shop that will make such "adapter plates" for mismatched components locally here for about $20.  Certainly there are similar enterprises in your area.

Thanks guys, actually after checking and measuring it looks like the Moonlite should cover all the holes in my OTA.  Have ordered it now in red with the 2.75" drawtube and really looking forward to getting it up and running!  I have also ordered the Explore Scientific 24mm (68) and the 8.8mm (82) so stuff should never have looked so good given all but one of my eyepieces are cheap ones!

Thanks for the advice.  Ian at First Light Optics was a great help too so a big thumbs up on them.

Saxon

• Like 1