Natty Bumpo

Fairmount, Illinois
10 OM 4/13 - 3 AM 4/14
Meade 8 inch SCT
Docter 12.5
TV 22 Pan
Celestron 40mm
Swarovski 10X30 binoculars

A chilly night, 32°f by the time a called the game. Fortunately there was no breeze.
No moon and a high transparency lured me out for some galaxy nabs and a few globs and an OC or two.

I mounted my Meade LXD 75 8 on the LXD mount and spent 45 frustrating minutes trying to get an acceptable alignment. I didn't need high precision but I needed enough so as not to require a fiddle with every go-to. Not sure why it took so long.

Although seeing was poor, the high transparency, the moonless sky, and the 10 inch glass yielded very satisfactory views of these galaxies, etc.

M49 a mag 9.4 elliptical galaxy in Virgo was a small glowing orb appearing more round than oval.

M59 a mag 9.8 elliptical galaxy in Virgo. Presented a discernable oval form of dusty glow with no definition in the arms.

M61 a mag 10.1 barred spiral galaxy in Virgo presenting a glowing oval and star point core with no other definition.

M62 a mag 6.2 globular cluster in Ophiucus presenting a dull glow.

M63 a mag 9.3 spiral galaxy in Canes Venatici. This one appeared rather dim.

M64 mag 9.4 in Canes Venatici. Not much definition. A slightly Irregular shaped glow.  
M65 mag 10.3 an intermediate spiral galaxy in Leo.

M66 this was in a rich field of galaxies...a thin glow. Part of the Leo Triplets.

M67 is a mag 6.1 open cluster in Cancer. Visually poorly populated. I don't think I resolved all the stars here. Mostly separated brighter stars resolved.

M81 a mag 6.9so called grand design spiral galaxy in Ursa Major This one was large a bright with a star like core.

M82 otherwise "The Cigar Galaxy" at mag 8.4 was a nice view in Ursa Major with a well defined long skinny oval shape with a string of brightness down its center.

M86 an elliptical galaxy in Virgo. Mag 9.8.

M84 is an elliptical galaxy in Virgo. This one presented as rather dim at mag 9.8.

M87 mag 9.6. is an elliptical galaxy Virgo. Bright core.

M89 at mag 10 is another elliptical galaxy in Virgo.

M4 mag 5.9. A globular cluster in Scorpius.This was a great view of M4 with nice stars and that character a bar of stars striking through the middle of the cluster.
I stayed on this for a few minutes longer.

M80 is a nag 7.8 globular cluster in the Scorpius. This one is relatively near M4 but is very subdued. It presented as a small glowing object.

M107 is loose globular cluster Ophiuchus.

M3 a mag 6.2 globular cluster Canes Venatici. I think this was my visual highlight for the night. It was BIG and resolved wonderful stars and a very bright and dense core.

M51 M51 was filling 2/3 of my fov. Two sharp core points and with averted vision the galaxies interacted nicely but there was not a great deal of definition in the arms. Viewed nearly at zenith, I was a little surprised I was hoping for more definition. I think the poor seeing may have been the culprit.

M104 In 2017 this was the first galaxy I ever observed. Mag 8.9. This galaxy is in Virgo just north and East of Corvus.
The best visual I have had of the "Sombrero" galaxy. Resolved some faint bar down the middle.

M85 mag 10, An elliptical galaxy in the Coma Berenices.

As I entered my long drive I pulled over and got out with my Swaros. I leaned against the van and took another look at M4 in the lesser glass then slid along the scorpion's tail to view M6 and M7. I scanned along and viewed several other lights without bothering to identify them, just relaxing there in the cold, finishing of my outing with pure unencumbered visual pleasure.

I arrived home at 3am and I was chilled to the bone...😊

This image is strictly a visual note to myself. 😊

20200422_102949.jpg

Edited by Natty Bumpo
  • Like 5