Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pairing modern photographic lens(with electronic aperture control) with ZWO dedicated camera

Hi,

I am new to AP.

I have Nikon 500mm PF F5.6 lens and plan to use it with ZWO ASI2600MC-pro. 

Lens does not have aperture ring. Aperture goes to F5.6 when I turn ON Nikon camera body (Z7). And  Aperture comes back to F22 when I turn OFF Nikon camera body (Z7)

Given this behavior of lens, if I were to connect this lens to ZWO camera, lens aperture is going to stay at F22. 

ZWO has Nikon T2 adaptor, and this is not powered.

Has any one come across this problem when pairing modern lens with dedicated camera?

TIA

According to this website the lens remains wide open when it is not connected to a compatible camera.....

https://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/500mm-f56.htm

He could be wrong as Ken Rockwell is kind of a marmite person, if you know what I mean.

I don't have any Nikon kit as I use Canon but that is also the same for Canon lenses, the lens is always wide open by default. There is a trick with Canon lenses if you want to stop the lens down for use on a non-Canon camera.....set the aperture to the required setting and then press and hold the DOF button, turn the camera off while still holding the DOF button and the lens will remain in that stopped down position. 

Where there are definite issues is when the focus is done electronically, i.e. focus-by-wire. There's no way to focus the lens that I am aware of on anything but a proper camera or a proprietary adapter but often you will lose infinity focus using one of those (and they are usually pretty expensive).

Edited by StuartJPP