NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Polar Alignment software for my setup?

Vega

Hi

I'm just looking for some second opinions on software for polar alignment. I've been looking around at software such as SharpCap, Kstars etc. Most of them however recommend a field of view of at least 1 degree...  

So here comes my problem. The only camera I have that can take video is my trusty Philips ToUcam (my current guide camera). I attach this to my Skylux 70/700mm guide scope. Needless to say, this provides a small FoV of about 0.3 degrees. Would this setup still work for these softwares? Is 0.3 deg a lost cause ? Any other recommendations? I'm trying to avoid doing the drift alignment method which is so painful and timely. I've polar aligned using the EQ6's polar scope so far. This is for the purposes of imaging rather than observing.  

Thanks

Matt

Can't answer the field of view part of the question, but there is a function in the later versions of PHD2, called Polar Drift Align and this is independent of FOV (I managed to get it to work on my 909mm f/l Newt with OAG guide camera).  Its author, @Kens, posts here and can provide much more detailed info.

Edited by almcl

I use an ASI174 at 1000 mm, which gives a fov of 39 x 25 arcminutes (0.65 x 0.41 degrees), and do polar alignments withou any problems using kstars. Both astrometry and astap work.