NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To the Camera

I have recently had some really good results with my SynScan GOTO on my Dob finding deeps space objects.  So, I though I could begin to work on developing some imaging skills, now that I could reliably find the object to image.

Last evening, however, I ran into something odd I haven't had happen before and am at a loss on where to start troubleshooting.  My setup is a Pi running indi with the indi_synscan_telescope driver and indi_whm_focuser.  The GOTO is running on my private class D WiFi network in Station Mode, along with the Pi, my laptop and a SynScanPro app on a tablet.  For telescope control, I align with the tablet, then use KStars Indi Control Panel for focus.  Positioning and tweeks for centering target objects are done with SynScanPro on the tablet.  I have not needed to sync with KStars with regard to positioning, as it seems to display correctly.

Anyway...last evening, after pointing at the Pinwheel Galaxy, centering it up and getting ready to mash the capture button, suddenly the scope started a slow, but steady, nose drop.  The laptop imaging screen showed star trails and KStars showed the SynScan reticle climbing gradually with a slight bias to the right.  I tried repeating the GOTO with the tablet, and it went back where it should have been.  A minute or three later, it repeated the "nose dive."

Nothing was found to be wrong or misconfigured.  Tracking was on and set to sidereal.  The GOTO process was repeated a third time, and it went where it should have gone, but again, after a minute or so...nose dive.

I finally shut everything down and did the "fool's repair"...a complete reboot of everything.  This time, it went well, but now I'm gun-shy.  I don't care for mystery issues.

Anyone else see a problem like this before?  Granted, my setup is a bit off-normal, but it is still basically a SynScanPro app running on a tablet controlling the GOTO via WiFi.  KStars -could- move the scope via the indiserver talking to the SynScanPro app, but there was nothing in the logs to suggest that happened and KStars runs on the laptop, which was not being touched yet.

Edited by JonCarleton

4 hours ago, Tommohawk said:

Your set up is very different to mine - I'm using Heq5 controlled by Ascom /Stellarium. However in the past I have certainly had odd events like you describe which defy explanation and resolve with a restart. 

Well then...not just me.  I'm actually somewhat relieved to find it these kinds of unexplained events aren't specifically limited to my platform.  Tell me about your saxophone!

On 22/04/2020 at 13:26, JonCarleton said:

Well then...not just me.  I'm actually somewhat relieved to find it these kinds of unexplained events aren't specifically limited to my platform.  Tell me about your saxophone!

Yeah not sure why I used that as an Avatar. I have a Yamaha tenor sax - havent really played much in years. I was expecting to get some practice in during COVID lockdown - but the weather has been ridiculously good so I've been imaging/processing. And wallpapering..... not my idea!

• 2 months later...
22 hours ago, JonCarleton said:

I spend the first 20 years or so of my working life repairing musical instruments....can't even say how many saxophones I have overhauled.  Everything from sopraninos to bass. 

Brilliant - I cant imagine servicing bass or sopraninos.... cant imagine blowing one either for that matter. I could probably use your services, I'm sure somethings leaky somewhere. But not exactly local!

It has been a while since I worked on instruments.  To make an -actual- living, I left the music business and did software development some years ago.  Although, I still perform a bit, though on pedal steel.  Pedal steel players not only "get" to sit down during a gig, they "must" sit down.  My second choice would be Bass sax.  At least most of them have wheels.