Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Are these batteries enough to power my setup?

Hi Everyone

I'm looking for advice on how to power my setup in the field but my electrics knowledge is severely lacking.🤔

EQ6-r pro synscan, requires DC11~16V 4A

ZWO asi 294 cooled camera, requires  650mA at 5V, cooling requires "12V at 3A Max"- ZWO ("12V @ 3-5A (or more)"-Rother Valley Optics)

ZWO asi 120mini unsure of power requirements 

Laptop unsure of power requirements

Dew heaters when I get them, unsure of power requirements

I have a Deben Tracer 12v Lithium Polymer Battery Packs 14Ah

I also have a Belkin10Ah with output 5v-4.8A

and a RavPower 20Ah with 5V-2.4A

Will that be sufficient? I guess I'll need 1 more battery

I would like to have enough power to last the longest winter night with a bit left over as contingency.

Any help/product recommendations would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Tom

Edited by Krackedace
update info

Its the Amps that will tell you what you need to know (obviously you also need to operate at the correct voltage - most gear is 12v) - if something uses 3A then in 1 hour it will use 3Ah (Three amp-hours).  Your EQ6 uses a max of 4A when in fast slew and much less when tracking and your camera uses, say 5A.  these two therefore will consume a maximum of 4 + 5 = 9 Ah.  You have a 14Ah battery so that will last about 1.5 hours when it will be flat! - not such a good idea!  I always work on never letting the total use consume more than half the available battery power.  

When I did use a battery set-up I had a 105 Ah leisure battery (the sort used for caravans and boats) and this ran my own EQ6, camera(s) and laptop easily for 5-6 hours.

By the way for a laptop try using an "in car" charger to run it from your battery - they work well.  Don't bother with inverters etc as they are not 100% efficient and therefore just add to the wasted energy from your battery.

Hope that helps and gets you going.

1 hour ago, Bizibilder said:

When I did use a battery set-up I had a 105 Ah leisure battery (the sort used for caravans and boats) and this ran my own EQ6, camera(s) and laptop easily for 5-6 hours.

Thanks for the reply

Do you have any recommendations for that kind of batter or where I could get one? also what accessories would I need to get that to work?

I bought mine from these people:  Tayna batteries and a charger like one of these:  Charger conditioner.  Both seem to have gone up in price since I bought mine 🙁 !  However they are a good buy.  The charger/conditioner allows you to simply leave the battery and charger plugged in all the time (when not using it) and it keeps the battery in god "health".  I always brought the battery indoors (the garage - always above freezing as it is attached to the house) between sessions.  I used my own set-up for 4-5 years before getting a mains supply installed in my observatory.  In the end I sold both battery and charger for about half what I paid for them so overall not too bad!

It depends on the set-up you have.  For example the EQ6 could connect to the battery with one of these: Power cable via one of these wired directly to the battery: socket .  You will need similar connections for the other devices You can buy multiple socket type connectors..  If you search the DIY section of the forum you will find some very good "power supply boxes"  - some very sophisticated indeed!  Whilst mentioning cigarette type sockets these are simple to set up and use but are prone to connection problems especially if they get wet - It depends on your skill levels but you can make up your own wiring with much better connectors and put the whole lot in a waterproof container to prevent dew problems.