Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cameras...Colour vs Mono vs std DSLR vs Modded DSLR!!

Hey :)

I’ve got a dilemma!

I have a Canon 6d mk1, full frame that I’ve only ever used for wide angle ‘landscape Astro’ - 14/24/50mm...great results!!

im looking to go deeper (135-200mm ish) with a camera lens, not scope just yet.

I’d love to get more nebulously/Ha...so Im considering modding it.. not myself, professionally.

I don’t know What's best? Ha or full spectrum?so I got watching a few videos..

The 6d being full frame, clip filters are quite expensive as I’m still using lenses not a scope with a filter wheel/draw 

This got me thinking...

My 6d is my only camera and If I have it modded that’s £300ish, filter(s) about the same again.

Being full frame , in the future I’ll likely need to buy a flattener when I move up to a  telescope (refractor) so thats £200 more..

Were up to around £800 now.....and that’s decent dedicated astro camera territory.

The options then are ...

1. The really smart adapter (Altair sell) for canon lenses to fit on an astro cam/cooled camera.

This has a 1.25” circular filter slot which I could fit Ha/RGB/etc... and use a dedicated camera instead of a dslr.

The option then is Colour vs Mono...

I know I’m a beginner and really don’t want to appear like I’m trying to get ahead of myself ...and Ive certainly not got G.A.S!lol...just trying to think smart :) 

THE MAIN QUESTION ...

Should I have my 6d modded if it’s future MAIN use will be attached to a telescope? (Mid size refractor)
Or 

Maybe Im best to buy a used crop sensor/APS-C dslr and mod it myself? Clip in Filters are certainly cheaper and more readily available in APS-C 
Or

Is this the time to decide to invest the funds in to buying a dedicated cooled camera which I’ll no doubt end up buying one day anyway. And would you choose colour or mono? 

Lets call the budget £800

Im going to guess most will say Dedicated cooled colour camera with a Ha filter 😁 Let’s see! 

As always thanks in advance for taking the time to read and hopefully reply 

Ant 

Edited by AntHart
Spelling :(

2 hours ago, MarkAR said:

I would be tempted to say a cooled mono cam, the Altair adapter and filters.

Have a search for the Samyang 135mm users thread, loads of great images and pictures of equipment used.

Thanks you mate, I’ll have a look 👍🏼