NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Light pollution filter

Hi guys and girls I would like to talk about light pollution filters in a little detail I currently live in Stoneleigh which is around 10 miles away from central London.if anything to go by my sky bortale rating is 6 not to bad considering so close to central London and on exceptional clear nights able to glimpse the Milky Way however rare!.my main filter I use like the bread and butter of filters is an baader IR-cut moon and sky glow Neodymium filter and generally use all the time just to generally clean things up a little however don,t notice a great difference with or without.the other filter I use is an ES O111 filter which I swear by and is a must for enhancing emission nebula etc especially on the veil in Cygnus and the M27 dumbed nebula stands out better. I do understand that filters are no miracle cure In more light polluted sky’s and sometimes subtle differences is between seeing objects or not at all I currently was advised by a dealer last year to go for an CLS filter which was supposed to enhance viewing on some star clusters and especially galaxies however I sold it after a few nights of observing as was left a little disappointed as if anything I found it made veiwing worse  or was I missing something so I’m looking for any other suggestions for another filter that maybe worth investing in as if there is such a thing would like a better light pollution filter also something to enhance galaxies on.

Light pollution has been changing over the last few years with the introduction of LED lighting and the phasing out of the older sodium lights.

I believe that the older ones could be filtered to some extent but the newer lighting not so much ?

For galaxies there are no filters that help really. Darker skies are what is required to see them better.

The O-III and UHC filters do help with nebulae. They work even better under dark skies of course but with some light pollution at least something can be seen with them.

I too live in Bortle 6 skies and I find the CLS to be ok. Out of interest which brand did you buy? - I have the Explore Scientific one. For viewing fainter objects, averted vision works.