Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Easy alignment upgrade / perk

Hi guys and girls I’m new to this forum so apologies in advance for any mistakes etc.anyway I consider myself an intermediate amateur Astronomer with a twist Any way for you beginners out there or more advanced I’ve spoken to a few people in past who have had a few initial alignment procerdre problems and believe I’ve come up with a little perk so to speak as some folks have trouble eyeballing the star in centre of eyepiece for goto mounts either in azimuth or equatorial mounts  and if you haven’t got a cross hair illuminated eyepiece at your disposal I’ve come up with a simple little trick and love and behold it seems to work!? All you need to do is with your favourite eyepiece when aligning is drill a approx a 3-5 mm hole in centre of eyepiece cap most are plastic then place back on eyepiece as your aiming your scope at bright stars anyway this allows a lot less margin for error regarding the object is more bang centre of eyepiece and I’ve used this method on my Meade 12” ACF a few nights ago and I must admit objects do seem to be closer to the centre of the eyepiece by a good 15-20% kind regards