My best M51 to date...

Jarvo

Hi All

After a few false starts this week the air was still enough last night so I went for it.

And everything went near perfect - I found the target straight away, I got the focusing pretty much bob on, the tracking was the best I've ever experienced, I was disciplined and discarded any with egg shaped stars (only a few mind).

I managed to get 62 minutes of data (62 x 60") at ISO 800 plus 3 darks using the trusty old Olympus E420 coupled to my beloved Esprit 100. No filters.

Skies were clear (obviously!) but the Light Pollution in Morley is horrendous. My areas classed as an Bortle 8 but with the street lamp shining in my garden I put is at a 9.

I cannot explain just how pleased I am with this shot - It's probably the best one I've take. Yes I know they're not going to replace Hubble with me and my Esprit but so what? (Although I'm sure there are some people who would like to strap me to a rocket and send me up ! )

Did a bit of experimentation with the difference processing options in Deep Sky Stacker and this was the result.

Thanks for looking.

Steve

M51ii stacked.jpg

• Like 1