NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ioptron Ipolar help please

oymd

Morning everyone

Would like to get some advice please about polar alignment.

The mount in question is the SW AZ-EQ6 Pro. Having given up on the awkward positioning of the polar scope, I invested in an Ipolar, and it has been amazing so far.

I am sure however that I am doing something wrong?

The mount is setup in the HOME position, levelled, pointing north, with the Refractor also pointing north. I make sure RA and DEC are balanced.

When I plug the Ipolar into computer, I go through all the steps, and use the altitude lever and AZ bolts to get the DOT & CROSSHAIRS perfectly aligned, then get everything tightened up.

I keep the Ipolar connected, so as to see if I am polar aligned throughout my viewing session

Now, I remember seeing a video where it was advised that after aligning in HOME POSITION, I should rotate the RA 90 degrees either side, and press CONFIRM POSITION 1 & 2 on the IPLOAR software? I do not do this step, as the button is greyed out?

I then turn on the mount, and do 3 star alignment. Everything seems ok, but I have a constant error of the object I am trying to slew to being OFF CENTER by a constant distance? With the 28mm eyepiece, I can see it near the periphery, with my 15mm eyepiece I have to rely on the finderscope to center the object.

Any idea why this is the case?

What am I doing wrong, or missing here?

Many thanks

P.S This is what the POLAR ALIGNMENT LOOKS LIKE MID SESSION, with the RA in various positions OTHER THAN HOME POSITION. When it returns to HOME POSITION, pointing north towards polaris, the crosshair and red dot are perfectly overlapping. Is this how it should be, or should the cross hair and dot overlap in ANY RA ORIENTATION?

IMG-3201.jpg

IMG-3202.jpg

IMG-3208.jpg

Edited by oymd

37 minutes ago, oymd said:

Morning everyone

Would like to get some advice please about polar alignment.

The mount in question is the SW AZ-EQ6 Pro. Having given up on the awkward positioning of the polar scope, I invested in an Ipolar, and it has been amazing so far.

I am sure however that I am doing something wrong?

The mount is setup in the HOME position, levelled, pointing north, with the Refractor also pointing north. I make sure RA and DEC are balanced.

When I plug the Ipolar into computer, I go through all the steps, and use the altitude lever and AZ bolts to get the DOT & CROSSHAIRS perfectly aligned, then get everything tightened up.

I keep the Ipolar connected, so as to see if I am polar aligned throughout my viewing session

Now, I remember seeing a video where it was advised that after aligning in HOME POSITION, I should rotate the RA 90 degrees either side, and press CONFIRM POSITION 1 & 2 on the IPLOAR software? I do not do this step, as the button is greyed out?

I then turn on the mount, and do 3 star alignment. Everything seems ok, but I have a constant error of the object I am trying to slew to being OFF CENTER by a constant distance? With the 28mm eyepiece, I can see it near the periphery, with my 15mm eyepiece I have to rely on the finderscope to center the object.

What you are describing is the calibration process that you only need to do once - unless you are removing and replacing the camera on the mount each session. You can repeat the calibration - check the manual here (bottom of page 5/top of page 6) Ipolar guide

Are you completing your polar alignment after you have your scope on your mount? I do an initial alignment after setting the mount/tripod up, while it is easier to move, and then repeat once scope and counterweights have been added. There is normally some movement on the alignment with the extra weight (I have to set my scope up on grass).

18 minutes ago, Shimrod said:

What you are describing is the calibration process that you only need to do once - unless you are removing and replacing the camera on the mount each session. You can repeat the calibration - check the manual here (bottom of page 5/top of page 6) Ipolar guide

Are you completing your polar alignment after you have your scope on your mount? I do an initial alignment after setting the mount/tripod up, while it is easier to move, and then repeat once scope and counterweights have been added. There is normally some movement on the alignment with the extra weight (I have to set my scope up on grass).

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I have 2 mounts and ONE IPOLAR: CEM25P and Sky-Watcher AZ EQ6 Pro. Both of them have adaptors fitted, and I remove the Ipolar camera from each mount after each session and attach at the start.

I polar align BEFORE putting the OTA and CW on, and keep the camera connected and laptop screen visible as I am putting CW and OTA on the mount, and check that everything stays aligned AFTER everything is on the mount and tightened down, BUT ONLY IN HOME POSITION.

When I start slewing, I see the crosshairs and red dot moving apart, as you see in the above pictures. 

Is that expected?

Edited by oymd

26 minutes ago, Shimrod said:

ahh...I see what you mean now.

Had a look at the guide.

So, since I am moving my Ipolar from mount to mount, I will need to CALIBRATE every time I use it. Right?

And need to click CLEAR CAMERA DATA everytime.

I think that explains it.

So, my last question would be, if I do that, should the cross hair and red dot OVERLAP in ALL positions or RA when slewing?

Many thanks

27 minutes ago, oymd said:

ahh...I see what you mean now.

Had a look at the guide.

So, since I am moving my Ipolar from mount to mount, I will need to CALIBRATE every time I use it. Right?

And need to click CLEAR CAMERA DATA everytime.

I think that explains it.

So, my last question would be, if I do that, should the cross hair and red dot OVERLAP in ALL positions or RA when slewing?

Many thanks

That's correct - you'll need to clear camera data and re-calibrate every time you move the camera between mounts.

I believe the cross hair and red dot should stay aligned, but once I am fully set up and aligned, I've never rechecked.

Edited by Shimrod