Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meade LX200 mirror fog

I was recently cleaning my LX200 corrector plate and I happened to notice when I study the mirror at the other end of the OTA, that it's slightly foggy.  Looks like someone has breathed on a cold mirror.  Slightly odd seeing as it's in a mostly sealed tube.

I wondered if anyone has had this before, or if  anyone any suggestions on how to clear it.  The scope is in an insulated, lined wooden shed, there is no damp.

Even when I leave a heater in the shed so it's nice and warm the apparent mirror fog remains.

Many thanks

Phil

• Like 1

Hi Phil.  I see you are in Essex.  If you are free on a Wednesday evening you’d be welcome at Castle Point Astronomy Club, near Rayleigh.  Just google us for details.  There are other astronomy clubs in Essex but we’re the BEST 😇

You could bring your scope along, not to do the job but for advice.  This Wednesday 4th not ideal for that, we have a visiting speaker, but fine next week.  Ask for Ed, I’ll show you the most important room where there’s free tea & coffee, if you’re quick biscuits too !    Your first visit is free, after that you get mugged for cash 😁

Cheers, Ed.

Edited by NGC 1502
correction