Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moon, Venus and ISS tonight - widefield AP

So tonight we have the opportunity to shoot the Moon, Venus and the ISS passing relatively close. I plan to shoot this with my Lumix G9 with a 12mm lens, so 24mm in 35mm equivalent. The 500 rule tells me I can expect a 20 second exposure before the stars start trailing. But in 20 seconds, the ISS won't have moved very far across the frame, in fact Stellerium tells me that I'll take about 3 minutes for the ISS to pass through the frame.

What I want to achieve is the Moon, Venus and stars acceptably sharp  and have the entire 3 minutes of the ISS pass represented as a trail, in one image. I have no tracking, just a regular photo tripod. What's the best way to go about this? My plan is to take multiple 20 second exposures and combine them, but obviously as the earth rotates the stars and moon will trail too. Is there software that can take the individual 20 second exposures and align the stars in each - but then that will make a curve in the ISS trail.

How would you go about capturing this and representing it one image?

Did you manage to get any shots?

After seeing your post, I went out with about 10 minutes notice. Enough to throw my camera on a tripod. There was a light cloud covering, which give a very blurred moon and venus. 55mm is the widest lens I have and from my location the ISS was much further away than I expected, so it was way out of shot. The result was a series of pretty rubbish pictures.