NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

are there any fracs that can compete with the Esprit 120 for the money?

It's the old scope upgrade question again. I want more focal length than my ed80, although the Esprit 120 isn't really that much more (840 compared to 510 with the reducer) but it should make some difference. I'm drawn to another refractor due to the relative simplicity and lack of collimation etc. It'll be used with a Zwo 1600 and an Avalon Uno. Deep sky astrophotography is what I'll be using it for; no visual. 

Any thoughts?

Cheers

In terms of performance at that price or in terms of value for money at that focal length?

1) In terms of performance at that price then the nothing springs to mind. 

2) In terms of value for money at that focal length, then the TS-Optics PHOTOLINE 115 mm f/7 would be hard to beat in my opinion. 

Adam

I have both an Esprit 120, and an Avalon M-Uno.  Both are fabulous.   However, in combination, you lose the massive advantage of the mount, that of no meridian flip, since the scope is so long (even with a pillar extension on the head.)  

Of course, that’s not a fault of either device, and you’ll have the same problem with any refractor. 

Tony

Edited by AKB

2 hours ago, Adam J said:

In terms of performance at that price or in terms of value for money at that focal length?

1) In terms of performance at that price then the nothing springs to mind. 

2) In terms of value for money at that focal length, then the TS-Optics PHOTOLINE 115 mm f/7 would be hard to beat in my opinion. 

Adam

Thanks Adam, I hadn't thought of it like that, but yes more in terms of what I can get for 2K or so.

2 hours ago, AKB said:

I have both an Esprit 120, and an Avalon M-Uno.  Both are fabulous.   However, in combination, you lose the massive advantage of the mount, that of no meridian flip, since the scope is so long (even with a pillar extension on the head.)  

Of course, that’s not a fault of either device, and you’ll have the same problem with any refractor. 

Tony

Hi Tony, can I ask if you use an off axis guider to guide the esprit? 

Being largely marooned in London without much sky visible I tend to image objects that are near the zenith early in the evening when even my ED80 only just makes it without bumping into the mount (If I have started tracking before the meridian crossing). But I imagine even with the Esprit if you are imaging nearer the horizon e.g m20 in the summer, then it should track across the meridian without a flip and without hitting the mount. Is that your experience?

I do love the Uno I have to say.....

Chris

20 minutes ago, sonnymoon said:

can I ask if you use an off axis guider to guide the esprit?

No, why would you that?  😀

I use a guide scope, sometime on the opposite head (it’s a dual mount) or clamped directly to the Esprit. 

24 minutes ago, sonnymoon said:

I imagine even with the Esprit if you are imaging nearer the horizon e.g m20 in the summer, then it should track across the meridian without a flip and without hitting the mount. Is that your experience?

Yes, absolutely.  Most directions not a problem at all. 

1 hour ago, AKB said:

No, why would you that?  😀

I use a guide scope, sometime on the opposite head (it’s a dual mount) or clamped directly to the Esprit. 

Yes, absolutely.  Most directions not a problem at all. 

Ah, I've only ever owned an ED80, but I was under the impression that longer focal lengths do better with an OAG. Thats good news if all is well with a regular guide scope.

58 minutes ago, sonnymoon said:

I was under the impression that longer focal lengths do better with an OAG.

The Esprit FL of 840mm is not especially long.  OAGs are good for anything with moveable optics... SCTs and reflectors... so it can track with any shifts in FOV.