Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Upgrading from Celestron AVX to...where?

Yawning Angel

Hello,

I've had a Celestron AVX for about 6 years now, and it's served / serving me quite well, but it is clearly a limiting factor in my AP, so I'm looking to switch up to a more capable and reliable mount for my observatory. The AVX is not hopeless, but is the world of backlash and quite inconsistent in performance - plus, a bit noisy in a residential setting (I've had to limit the slew speed to keep it to a polite level)

At the moment I mount a Skywatcher ED80 + camera, EFW and associated kit, but may one need to take more load or longer focal lengths in the future.

The shortlist is currently between a Skywatcher EQ6-R pro and the iOptron CEM60 (nonEC), both fall inside the budget of 'sub £2000' and seem perfectly capable. I'd prefer new from a retailer, rather than pre-owned for the peace of mind

Whatever I go for, it'll be pier mounted, PC controlled from off the mount and parked horizontally. I run SGP or Sharpcap depending on target and CPWI for pointing / sky-model. "Celestron"PWI would have to go, likely replaced by Stellarium? So, I'm looking for thoughts and experiences, help and advice as I want the mount to feel like a significant upgrade, and be reasonable future proof

Help! I have analysis paralysis!