NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dirty brown moon

Relpet

Not an expert but I like taking pictures of the moon.  During the last twelve months I've been using a Canon 500D.  I spend half the year in France where I have used various Newtonians with a variety of Baader EPs but prefer to use a 2" 2xPowermate.  Over Christmas I was able to get a second-hand 2" 4xPowerMate which I was looking forward to using with an 80mm TS Photoline refractor.  Everything looked OK on Live View but on the computer all the images came out with a dirty brown cast.  Lunar seeing was excellent.  LP is very low in France but very high in Surrey, a short drive from Crawley/Gatwick.  I can correct the cast to some extent through post-processing but wonder if there is something wrong with my set-up.  This is a combination I have not used before so suspect there may be some inherent fault.  Any ideas, anyone?  Unprocessed comparisons below with France/Newt on the left, UK/Frac on the right.

Exposure Comparison.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Some kind of white-balance issue, I would say. Different optics can change the colour cast of the images. On the other hand, the image with the Newtonian was probably brighter, which may have influenced the auto-white balance of the camera.

Never thought to look at white balance, Michael.  Next time we have a bright moon I'll run through the options and see what works.  I had expected great things from this combination.

On 05/01/2020 at 19:08, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Some kind of white-balance issue, I would say. 

Thanks again. Michael.  Having checked the camera I found the white balance was set to daylight.  Fiddling in the dark I must have pressed the WB button at some point and accidentally changed the setting.  The moon was clear tonight at 21.00 so I took a few shots at various exposure settings.  None of them showed any colour cast  Best of the bunch attached.  Your advice was also helpful to a member of our local group who had noticed a similar problem so thanks again from both of us.

6jan1.jpg

• Like 4