NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Elephants Trunk Nebula

Anne S

Here's my version of the Elephant Trunk nebula imaged over 3 nights last weekend. 16x600 seconds for Ha,Oiii, and Sii shown in the Canada France Hawaii palate (Ha-red, Oiii-green and Sii-blue. My first attempt with sgpro. 

SXVR694 and Altair Wave 102 on Cem60ec Mount.

I'm struggling with autofocus, so I think focus could have been a bit sharper.

C786F260-251C-42EC-B690-DAA67C6EDB3B.png

• Like 4

OK, so that gradient from Ha to OIII wasn't just me -- whew! I have gotten some fair-decent Ha on this target but my OIII was way underexposed (autoguiding inop) and I thought the overall balance shift from the "bottom" to the "top" of the trunk was some kind of artifact. Pretty wild colors here -- cool palette choice. Agree that the softness is likely due to focus. Suppose you could also do star removal to process them independently to get the diameters down, but I kinda like the look.

Thanks. I also had some misalignment of the images as I couldn't get Maxim dl to centre where I was on the 1st night, that's why I switched to sgpro for the remaining 2 nights.  I'm not as good guiding using Phd2 as with Maxim. I also did a bicolour version, see below. It's more muted!

DA33B108-B851-4B57-A1B0-185A428ADEAA.png

• Like 2