NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dslr skywatcher 72ed focus problem

Hi Wise folks of Stargazers Lounge, 

So tonight I the odds of having a free evening and clear skies aligned and I thought to try my hand at a little astrophotography. 

I'm using a Canon 1000d field flattener and Skywatcher 72ed. The problem I have is that I can't wind the focuser in far enough to obtain focus. 

As far as I know I have the correct equipment and am somewhat baffled. Any advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks for your help 

Simon 

Hi Simon,

That sounded so strange that I had to do a quick test with mine. I also have got an ED72 with field flattener but with a Nikon D7100 (which in this case doesn't really matter).

As it's daytime I focused on some treetops about 2 miles away and I had to wind the focuser out ~24mm to reach focus, so there should still be plenty of inward movement for focusing.

It sounds like spacing problem, do you have anything else between the FF and the ED72 ? Or the FF and the camera ?

Hi, 

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for your efforts to identify my problem. 

The field flattener I had purchased actually had an extension tube attached and I was unaware could be removed. I contacted FLO and as usual they were incredibly helpful. 

I am still yet to try again, but will let you know how I get on. 

Thanks again 

Simon