SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Possible career change

Hargo

Been thinking a lot about science related things recently. Does anybody on here work in the field of science/physics? Or maybe as a university lecturer? I’m currently working in a hotel mainly as a receptionist but also doing the finances and thinking do I want to do this for the next 30-40 years? Not sure exactly of the path I want to take but thought it might be a good start to retake my basic GCSEs and try and get onto a degree level course via some A levels.

1 hour ago, Hargo said:

Been thinking a lot about science related things recently. Does anybody on here work in the field of science/physics? Or maybe as a university lecturer? I’m currently working in a hotel mainly as a receptionist but also doing the finances and thinking do I want to do this for the next 30-40 years? Not sure exactly of the path I want to take but thought it might be a good start to retake my basic GCSEs and try and get onto a degree level course via some A levels.

I have a Ph.D. in theoretical physics, and I have a rewarding, interesting, and fun job as a Senior Lab Instructor at a small Canadian university. For my job, I:

• organize and coordinate first-year labs;
  • teach interesting second-year labs;
  • perform outreach to the local high schools and community;
  • teach some lecture courses (this semester, I teach a general relativity course, and next semester I am scheduled to teach an astronomy/cosmology course for non-science majors).

Also, I am currently the co-supervisor of one M.Sc. student and sole supervisor of another, but I do not have to do this, and this is on top of (not in lieu of) actual job duties.

The physics world, however, is insanely competitive. I got my present permanent position 19 years after I finished my Ph.D. The journey was very interesting, but also long and difficult. In the end, I happened to in the right place at the right time. I can give details of this journey if you (or anyone else) is interested.

The majority of people who get B.Sc. s in physics do not end up in physics-related jobs; the majority of people who get M.Sc. s in physics do not end up in physics-related jobs; the majority of people who get Ph.D. s in physics do not end up in physics-related jobs. Most folks end up in interesting jobs, though.

I consider myself to be very lucky.

• Like 1

Whatever you decide, if you’re thinking about choosing physics, astronomy, electronic and computer engineering, and so on, as a degree, check you are ready for mathematical study at this level. At some UK universities there are no formal entry requirements (OU, for example), others require GCSEs and relevant A Levels (phsyics, math, higher math, chemistry etc). With that said, whatever the university you will need to demonstrate you have competency in mathematics and quite possibly an understanding in 'further' or 'higher' mathematics both of which will put you in good stead and aid your application.

• Like 2

I'd definitely recommend checking your maths ability against degree requirements.

I enrolled with the OU in my 30's having no worthwhile qualifications from school and particularly poor maths! I was doing a (soft) Natural Sciences degree which, due to redundancy and a change in working circumstances, I gave up on in the 1st year. It was going great but I was putting in maybe 25 hours per week home study on top of working 65 hours earning a living. I picked up the limited maths as required but it was never natural to me.

Jumping forward some years and my son now has a few degrees including an Electrical Engineering MSc. I looked through his advanced maths textbooks and it was utter gibberish to me :(  No amount of schooling would fix that in my case.

But, hey, you go for it. The longer you linger the harder it gets in terms of life getting in the way.

• Like 1

Go for it - better that than regretting not having done in 30 - 40 years. The Open University has a good site to give you an idea of the expected starting levels re maths content: http://mathschoices.open.ac.uk/

OU study is hard work, especially when combined with a working day and home life, but incredibly rewarding, and you never know where degree study will take you.

I studied as an electronic and electrical engineer, did one first year semester of programming (loathed it). 10 years later ended up as a software engineer. Didn't expect that 😂

Edited by arrayschism
Typo

I will definitely need to do some a levels. Maybe maths physics and something else. I have been to university before to do music but I got in from a music gnvq so that course and it’s associated ucas points are not going to help me. Would I need an A level in English to help with the coursework perhaps? I didn’t get good grades in English at school as I didn’t find Shakespeare interesting at the time!

I feel I may need to talk to some lecturers at a few different universities on the relevant subjects to get more ideas on the work involved and possible entry requirements.