Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A collection of firsts

GraemeH

As the title says, this image represents a number of firsts for me.  It is my first attempt at a mosaic image, which was impressively easily handled by my first use of AstroPixelProcessor, and it is also my first multi-night image.

I know there are still some residual gradients visible as well as some uneven background across the mosaic panes especially at the top left, but I'm really posting this to express my delight as a new APP user.  My individual subs were suffering from very variable gradients from an almost full moon, as well as some thin high cloud causing big shifts in background brightness even within a few minutes.  APP handled them all very impressively.

Technical details:
Scope - Evostar 72ED with OVL non-reducing flattener
Focus motor - ZWO EAF
Mount - Nexstar Evolution on wedge
Camera - Canon 1100D (unmodified)
Guiding - Skywatcher 9x50 finder with QHY5Lii-c
Software - CPWI, PHD2, APT, APP, Photoshop CC
Subs - 408 x 60" spread over 4 quadrants and some of the centre of the image (dithered every 5 subs), 100 flats, 100 bias

Feedback and CC welcome as always.  Thanks for looking.

Graeme

M31_stack.jpg

• Like 9

A few more subs added to this one, and some of the original ones discarded after closer inspection.  This is now a total of 466 x 60" with all the rest of the details the same.  A little more time spent in processing to achieve a result I'm happy with.

M31 Mosaic.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

You've nailed it with the second one. Very good indeed.

Olly

Thank you Olly - I'm sure I can't be alone in finding that the more I improve in this hobby, the more critical I become of my own images, so it's nice to hear that whilst there are still some flaws, I'm doing OK. 

44 minutes ago, GraemeH said:

Thank you Olly - I'm sure I can't be alone in finding that the more I improve in this hobby, the more critical I become of my own images, so it's nice to hear that whilst there are still some flaws, I'm doing OK. 

I think that anyone who stops being highly critical of their own images will cease to be a good imager. Indeed I'd go further: I'd say that the most important evolving skill is seeing what could be better. Finding the problem is harder than finding the solution, in general.

Olly

• Like 2