NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Moon & fugg - 1 : DSLR - 0

Roy Batty

You know how it is...you get your a target nicely framed, first sub looks possibly presentable although you have some doubts but you think post processing will sort it out. Well that was me a couple of nights back. I got M81 & 82 nicely in frame and set things of..29 five minute subs captured; great I thought. That was until i'd run it through the pixinsight DBE process, I think due to the combination of it being a fairly low target at the time of capture along with the moon washing out the sky (although it was roughly in the oposite part of the sky) what I ended up with was little or no fine detail coming out in M81. In all pretty much carp as full frame shot.

With hindsight a few warning bells should of chimed as the first 5 min sub looked like it was taken through fog, different from the orange of light pollution though, as the effect looked quite even across the frame.

I suppose I could salvage a crop of M82 from the frame as it was less affected being located closer to the edge of frame, but last night the combination of frustration and disappointment may have clouded my judgement.

You live and learn... :D

Keith

Archived