NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M36 December 06

darditti

This is the first DSO I have processed from the night of the 6th/7th, which was an exhausting one. I did M36, 37 and 38 in Auriga, and M108 in UMaj (also Saturn which is on the planetary board).

I feel I have now pretty much sussed the QHY8 and Baader MPCC on my f4.8 Newt. This is a huge image at full size, and it is pretty sharp almost into the corners, with just a bit of residual coma remaining which I suspect must be due to some slight mis-alignment, as it is not symmetrical from one side to the other. Below is a 25% version, and on clicking you will get the 50% version.

This was taken in moonlight. I have devised an arrangement now (that I will provide an picture of soon) that puts the MPCC at the correct 55mm distance from the chip and also incorporates the Lumicon Newtonian OAG and an LP filter between the MPCC and the focuser. And I still have a lot of back-focus to spare, as I designed the scope to give this. At only 2 minute subs, the OAG was hardly needed in this case.

David

M36-08-12-06SkyglwQHYOriLR.jpg

(click to enlarge)

Archived