Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Getting started with an Orion XT6

Hello, I'm just getting starting in the hobby and would like some advice.  I've done a fair amount of research already here and other sites, but it's a bit of information overload.

I just received an Orion XT6 (1200mm f/8) as a gift(!) with the standard 25MM eyepiece.  I live in NE USA (~43N latitude) and from behind my house have a pretty good clean view S to WSW about 15/20 degrees and higher.  This is where I intend on doing most of my viewing, but I can go out in the front, and see a lot of the north as well.  I live in a suburban neighborhood with no streetlamps, but most houses around have modest porch/backdeck lights on at night.
My intention is to see "cool things" :)   At first, the moon, planets, (sun?) and then go from there.  I have kids age 8 and under, and I'd love to engage them on this and once I know what I'm doing, any neighbor-kids as well (mostly ages 11 and under).   

First night out, we found Jupiter and through the 25MM (48x magnification), I saw a small round object, slightly reddish in color if you really stared at it, with a beige-ish band around the middle, then the 4 objects which looked like stars, but were all in a row, so must have been the moons of Jupiter.  It was also nearly a full moon, which was fascinating, but also a little blinding without any filters, so I will be getting a filter.
Second night out, we pointed north, and viewed some stars, but without any visible planets or moon, we mostly wandered about.  Tried to find Uranus and Neptune but either was not able to, or we did, but they did not look any different then stars with the equipment we had.

Anyway, I'm looking for some advice/direction for what to look for in the sky, and what eyepieces to upgrade to (to a set of 4-5 eventually).  I figure it would be better to buy one higher quality eyepiece at a time, than a complete set of cheaper ones.  My target price-range is ~$50-90 USD range per eyepiece, but I'd likely only buy one per 6-12 months, so I'd a variety set, but like to get a lot out of the first piece in particular.  I have no problem with buying something used (if I can find it used).  I was thinking of purchasing in the following order over the next few years:

• ~6.5-7MM (171-185x mag) - From what I understand, this is the going to be the highest magnification that is versatile enough for most seeing conditions.  >82 FoV would be better, but 60-62 deg FoV would probably be ok if the optics are noticibly better than the wider FoV in my price range (for example Meade Series 5000 1.25" HD-60 deg FoV 6.5MM better than Celstron Luminos 7MM 82 deg FoV?)
  • ~11MM (109x mag) - With a 82 deg FoV, full view of the moon/sun taking up most of the view.
  • ~32MM (38x mag) - for wider surveys across the sky
  • Barlow 2x - Double the 11MM for 218x for more magnification on planets during optimal seeing conditions, and double the 32mm for 76x mag.

Summarizing my questions:

1. Are my assumptions correct about magnification limits /seeing conditions my scope and environment?
  2. What general limitations are considerations for eyepiece for my scope?  
  3. What are some specific suggestions for brand/model of new 1.25" eyepiece(s) for my scope in my price range?  Used is OK, if I can find it used.  Should I aim for a ~7MM or the 11MM first?  Or something else altogether?
  4. Solar filter suggestion?
  5.  What are some good targets for the specific scope/25MM eyepiece I have right now, from my current location over the rest of October/November of this year?  

Thanks in advance!

On 21/10/2019 at 11:03, jaydee3839 said:

Hello, I'm just getting starting in the hobby and would like some advice.  I've done a fair amount of research already here and other sites, but it's a bit of information overload.

I just received an Orion XT6 (1200mm f/8) as a gift(!) with the standard 25MM eyepiece.  I live in NE USA (~43N latitude) and from behind my house have a pretty good clean view S to WSW about 15/20 degrees and higher.  This is where I intend on doing most of my viewing, but I can go out in the front, and see a lot of the north as well.  I live in a suburban neighborhood with no streetlamps, but most houses around have modest porch/backdeck lights on at night.
My intention is to see "cool things" :)   At first, the moon, planets, (sun?) and then go from there.  I have kids age 8 and under, and I'd love to engage them on this and once I know what I'm doing, any neighbor-kids as well (mostly ages 11 and under).   

First night out, we found Jupiter and through the 25MM (48x magnification), I saw a small round object, slightly reddish in color if you really stared at it, with a beige-ish band around the middle, then the 4 objects which looked like stars, but were all in a row, so must have been the moons of Jupiter.  It was also nearly a full moon, which was fascinating, but also a little blinding without any filters, so I will be getting a filter.
Second night out, we pointed north, and viewed some stars, but without any visible planets or moon, we mostly wandered about.  Tried to find Uranus and Neptune but either was not able to, or we did, but they did not look any different then stars with the equipment we had.

Anyway, I'm looking for some advice/direction for what to look for in the sky, and what eyepieces to upgrade to (to a set of 4-5 eventually).  I figure it would be better to buy one higher quality eyepiece at a time, than a complete set of cheaper ones.  My target price-range is ~$50-90 USD range per eyepiece, but I'd likely only buy one per 6-12 months, so I'd a variety set, but like to get a lot out of the first piece in particular.  I have no problem with buying something used (if I can find it used).  I was thinking of purchasing in the following order over the next few years:

• ~6.5-7MM (171-185x mag) - From what I understand, this is the going to be the highest magnification that is versatile enough for most seeing conditions.  >82 FoV would be better, but 60-62 deg FoV would probably be ok if the optics are noticibly better than the wider FoV in my price range (for example Meade Series 5000 1.25" HD-60 deg FoV 6.5MM better than Celstron Luminos 7MM 82 deg FoV?)
  • ~11MM (109x mag) - With a 82 deg FoV, full view of the moon/sun taking up most of the view.
  • ~32MM (38x mag) - for wider surveys across the sky
  • Barlow 2x - Double the 11MM for 218x for more magnification on planets during optimal seeing conditions, and double the 32mm for 76x mag.

Summarizing my questions:

1. Are my assumptions correct about magnification limits /seeing conditions my scope and environment?
  2. What general limitations are considerations for eyepiece for my scope?  
  3. What are some specific suggestions for brand/model of new 1.25" eyepiece(s) for my scope in my price range?  Used is OK, if I can find it used.  Should I aim for a ~7MM or the 11MM first?  Or something else altogether?
  4. Solar filter suggestion?
  5.  What are some good targets for the specific scope/25MM eyepiece I have right now, from my current location over the rest of October/November of this year?  

Thanks in advance!

Hello, and welcome,

To answer your questions...

1. You may want a variable-polariser... https://agenaastro.com/celestron-variable-polarizing-filter-1-25-94107.html

That way, you can adjust the level of brightness/dimness, when observing the Moon, Jupiter and Venus.  In the case of the planets, the filter would allow you to see their features better, and more pleasingly.

There are many DIY mods that can be performed on a Newtonian, and to improve its performance within said environment.  A 6" aperture is capable of 300x, under ideal seeing conditions, particularly when observing the Moon.  The planets will have to make do with less magnification, say, 200x or so.  Of course, that will depend on a number of factors: seeing, collimation, et al.

2.  At f/8, and with a focal-length of 1200mm, your lowest power, for hunting the dimmer, deep-sky objects, will be limited to 38x, and with a 32mm Plossl.  I'm afraid that that's not what you'd call a low-power suitable for the hunt, but it is what it is, and will have to do.  In hindsight, the Sky-Watcher 6" f/8 Newtonian-Dobson comes with a 2" focusser, which would have allowed for a larger view of the sky with a 2" 32mm or 38mm eyepiece...

https://i.imgur.com/zZtDa3w.png

...so much for that.

3.  The planets become interesting at around 150x.  1200mm÷ 150x = an 8mm eyepiece.  You may want wider-angle eyepieces, especially for the higher powers.  At f/8, you can choose from among quite a few that are under $100.  This one would produce 185x with your telescope...

https://agenaastro.com/meade-series-5000-6-5mm-hd-60-eyepiece.html

4. https://astrozap.com/collections/solar-filters/products/baader-solar-filter?variant=8277637922860

You would want the 174mm-184mm, and per the measurement I just made of my Orion 6" f/5...

436067907_6f5w2.jpg.1dd7194f132514948662090c22442d70.jpg

Incidentally, had I to do it all over again, I would've gotten a 6" f/5 with a 2" focusser; spilt milk that is.

You can't be too careful when observing the Sun.  Take all precautions, and then some.

5.  At 48x, with your 25mm eyepiece, there are quite a few deep-sky objects to observe.  Some may want more magnification; others not.  I would suggest downloading Stellarium...

https://stellarium.org/

It's a great planetarium, and it's free.  Enter your location and it will show you what's in the sky, day and night.  Be sure to toggle the deep-sky object icon...

NsMgebL.jpg

You can plan an evening's observations with the program.

Cheers,

16 hours ago, Alan64 said:

2.  At f/8, and with a focal-length of 1200mm, your lowest power, for hunting the dimmer, deep-sky objects, will be limited to 38x, and with a 32mm Plossl.  I'm afraid that that's not what you'd call a low-power suitable for the hunt, but it is what it is, and will have to do.  In hindsight, the Sky-Watcher 6" f/8 Newtonian-Dobson comes with a 2" focusser, which would have allowed for a larger view of the sky with a 2" 32mm or 38mm eyepiece...

Regarding this point, my understanding is, I could use:

25mm @ 60º  = 1.3º True FoV - 48x magnification

32mm @ 50º  = 1.3º True FoV - 37x magnification

40mm @ 42º  = 1.4º True FoV - 30x magnification

Since the true FoV is the same (roughly) for all of them and is the greatest allowable for the 1.25" focuser, what are the better objects to view with  each option?  Assuming the optic quality, eye relief, etc. all were equal?

Edited by jaydee3839
clarify

On 24/10/2019 at 11:40, jaydee3839 said:

Regarding this point, my understanding is, I could use:

25mm @ 60º  = 1.3º True FoV - 48x magnification

32mm @ 50º  = 1.3º True FoV - 37x magnification

40mm @ 42º  = 1.4º True FoV - 30x magnification

Since the true FoV is the same (roughly) for all of them and is the greatest allowable for the 1.25" focuser, what are the better objects to view with  each option?  Assuming the optic quality, eye relief, etc. all were equal?

You don't want a 40mm, as the background sky surrounding an object would be greyer, washed-out.  A 32mm is the standard for the lowest power, generally, and with many different sizes and types of telescopes.  

With that lowest power, aside from augmenting your finder in hunting for objects: the star-fields of the Milky Way, the Pleiades, and a bit beyond the core of the galaxy in Andromeda; the largest objects in the night sky.  Incidentally, here are a couple of simulators...

https://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view/

https://www.stelvision.com/en/telescope-simulator/

My Orion "StarBlast 6" came with the same 25mm Plossl as your own, in addition to a 10mm...

1512104391_SiriusPlossls.jpg.e17cc089a585f80680b0ef43569acf7d.jpg

If that's the 25mm mentioned, it is a 52°, not a 60°.  I have a few 25mm eyepieces, and that came with this telescope and that, but I never use them; too close to a 32mm.  I prefer a 20mm as the next step down from a 32mm.  This is a 20mm 68° that would work very well with your telescope, at f/8...

https://agenaastro.com/gso-20mm-superview-eyepiece.html (60x)

...and one that I have here in the household.

That's the nice thing about a longer focal-length telescope, as you don't have to break the bank in getting corrective, costly eyepieces for a good time at the helm.