NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Meade LX85 5" Refractor

Hi all,

Considering the maximum sized frac I could realistically use on my AZ4 recently, I was considering another Skywatcher ST120, which is reported to work well on said mount. Having owned one before (on a different mount) I know what to expect from the F5, but then I though maybe the extra focal length of the F6.5 ES AR127 would be nice. I particularly like the reports of quality from the ES along with the nice accessories. One thing that does bother me though, is the ES style finder shoe with all my finders being synta stlye, not an insurmountable problem. One other point of concern is the weight at ~7kg, combined with its length, this may push the AZ4 to its limits although I must point out that this would be a low power DSO scope only. I found this image online and the ES look quite at home on the AZ4:

764825-1.jpg.ea0f19bb47def34f3dc73753b616a402.jpg

Then I came across the new Meade LX85 range which includes a 5" refractor. Well, actually depending on which website you consult it's anything from 120mm to125 or 127mm aperture and F5.8 to F6!? Looking at the scope the lens cell looks very Synta to me so I'd bet it's a 120mm objective making it F5.8 at the claimed 700mm focal length. It also has a synta style focuser which will take a synta finder shoe, which is a bonus (note that in this picture I think the finder has been photo shopped in, in other images I see it fitted to an ES style shoe bolted to the OTA, similar to the AR127 above). Furthermore, should the focuser require upgrading, it looks like it would accept most skywatcher compatible focusers with 120° bolt spacing. OTA weight is listed as 4.5kg which is ideal for the AZ4, it's roughly the same as my 102mm apo.

mdlx85ota5ar.jpg.65fc8b7ac4621c9ae89da9aafb333363.jpg

The thing is, I can't find any review information on this scope at all! I wonder if any SGLers own, or have used one? I'd be interested to know if the extra 100mm focal length over the Skywatcher ST120 is at all noticeable with respect to CA. Also I guess the slower objective would have marginally better spherical correction?

It's available as OTA only at ~£350 so is very tempting when compared to the heavier, longer though better quality ES @ £580.

Anyone have any experience with this scope?

Cheers, Jon

I think they are 2 different scopes.

just few years ago meade had the 120mm (4.7") on the lx70 mount. thats a manualy eq5 mount. I bought that package. I still have the mount but I sold off the ota since I wanted larger than a 4.7 refractor.

they now make a 125mm on the new lxd85 mount this is not the samere fractor as the 1st one I memtioned  was an f/8 this newer one is bigger 125mm now so 5" which is good cause they listed the older 4.7" as 5" acro refractor and I called them (meade) to tell them I think its abit misleading a 4.7" is not a 5". I understand you can round up but then it should be 4.8" still not a true 5" which is 125mm.

anyway this newer model yes is shorter like f/6 or something like that which I don't like as the colour correction will be pretty bad on bright stuff.

so I don't know if they are slowly getting rid the 120mm model and making the 125mm verions now.

ohh sorry as per your other question if your looking at planatery views don't get a f/5 or even a f/6 verion theres just too much colour.

get a f/8 which will be a lot better. sure the f6 will be abit better then the 5 but not by a lot. even at f8 a lot people still don't like the colour. if you don't want a planet scope and more of a wide field then either one will do f5 or f6

joejaguar