Dew strip uniformity??

Long term reflector user so few has never been a problem. I’ve just got some dew strips to prevent the wet menace affecting my binocular enjoyment. Never needed this sort of thing before, but I have seen how bad things can get for exposed bits of glass in the wrong conditions. Seem to get moderately warm when plugged into a beefy USB pack (5-12v converter). Looked at them on the thermal phone unit and they don’t appear to be very uniform, probably won’t make much impact if they are rotated around and the metal will spread the heat about.  The warm bits get quite nicely warm to the touch. Don’t know what other people have found with their dew strips?

Cheers

Peter

B7D7EC22-02BF-434B-B54C-F1FFEE41DE42.jpeg

1CE5E44D-8371-45E4-A899-4F35FF4B4DE1.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Quick (30min) dew strip check, clear with high drifting thin cloud, damp ground and breath condensation. Pointed the bins straight up into a nice cold patch of sky(-20C or so), extended dew shields and added a dew strip to one objective. Then waited…. No dew seen after 30min, but using my phone thermal camera shows a consistent 4-5C elevated temperature on the warmed objective. The unprotected one getting down to almost ambient temperature. Need to wait till we have a REALLY damp evening to see if I can get the unheated side to fog over.

Peter

D87429FA-2BC1-4FDB-8DDA-8A06085F722B.jpeg

• 1 month later...

I can report that these strips work just fine, was out for a few hours last night with frost and ground fog (clear outside had a red dew alert). Tripod and stuff all covered in a thin layer of front at the end. One eyepiece fogging finally put pay to my session... so I need to ask Santa for a set of eyepiece dew strips!!

PEter