Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 7479 Binocular Star Hop

Natty Bumpo

September 9, 2029

Penfield Dark Site

Illinois, USA

1:13 AM CST

Latitude 40.4586 Longitude: -87.9 Elevation: 224 feet.

RA 23h 04m 56.6s[

Dec  +12° 19′ 22″

NGC 7479 is a tough binocular target.
This magnitude 11ish spiral galaxy in Pegasus was not a difficult hop, but it was a difficult Get!

I went out with Pentax 8.5X43 thinking to gain some aperture over the Swaro 10X30 from my prior bino outing.

That dog just would not hunt. 😊

I mounted my 25X100 Oberwerks with a 2.4°field on the tripod and went to work.

From a centered Alpha Peg, Markab,
I moved 1/2 field of view southwest, about 1.2°.
From here I centered HD217427

From Ski Safari 5 it now looked as though I could drive toward my southern horizon another full field, 2.4° and I would be on NGC 7479.

This was not immediately obvious.

Between HD218430 and 52Peg, more toward HD218430, one faint star, TYC1163-0994-1, resolved.
Acording to Ski Safari 5 this is a mag11.25 star so maybe this is NGC7479 and I am mistaking for a star.
At any rate, with averted vision a was able to catch a slight uptick of light that seemed to include this starlike object. I was able to catch this bloom several times throughout my examination. It did not reveal every time.
The bloom appeared in the 10 o'click position of this starpoint of light. Upon our after action examination of the quick  image capture we discovered this area has many galaxies in the field

I called it good.

I definately need to come back to this with my AR152 and a 7mm Pentax XW on another good night of transparency.

It is amazing how deep these Oberwerks can go with a decent ski.

My astronomy body snapped this single frame just for the record with Canon 80d and ES127 APO on SWEQ6 mount.

Cheers.

Screenshot_20190909-102037_Gallery.jpg

• Like 3

Nice one! I love my binoculars but have yet to tackle any seriously challenging objects with them. I have some 25x100 and 12x70 Celestrons. The 12x70s are excellent at light gathering. I wish they would take filters unless I'm missing some trick. I've heard of people taping them on somehow but that doesn't appeal to me (yet). 

• Like 2