Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Vixen ED 115 S APO Refractor

I have the Vixen ED 115S refractor. The optics are described as Extra Low Dispersion Optics. I am interested to know which type of glass is used to make the doublet objective. In the past I have owned several Skywatcher refractors with FPL 53 glass. These gave really good, pleasing views. I know that Takahashi refractors use fluorite to make the objective. Also Explore Scientific refractors use a different glass. 

The views from the Vixen are very good. 

Edited by Guest
ED not SD

Vixen never revealed the ED glass type they use for many of their models. This reviewer is of the opinion that it must be FPL-53 but thats from the performance that it gives rather than confirmation from the manufacturer I think:

https://astromart.com/reviews-and-articles/reviews/telescopes/refractors/show/vixen-ed115s-refractor

Takahashi refractors don't all use Fluorite by the way. Some have FPL-53 elements in them.

Are you pleased with the peformance of your Vixen ED115S ?

Are you pleased with the peformance of your Vixen ED115S ?

I have to say yes. Saturn always looks sharp and some detail revealed in atmosphere markings. This is in light polluted skies. Also the tube weight is light for it's size.