NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Difference between old and new ZWO filters?

freiform

1 hour ago, freiform said:

Apparently the edges of the new ones are blackened, mine are not.

Sven

Its more than just that they changed the coatings also and added more effective anti-reflection coatings in addition to adding the edge blackening. 

In essence you will experience reflection artefacts with the older ZWO filters. 

Adam

Hi Adam,

yes, I am aware of that. The question was how to tell the difference visually. I already opened the LRGB, they seem to have blackened edges, although not very carefully executed.

Of the narrowband filters, I only opened the Ha, and this one doesn't have a blackened edge or purple AR coating.

So I assume the LRGB are the new revision while the narrowband are not?

Sven

11 minutes ago, freiform said:

Hi Adam,

yes, I am aware of that. The question was how to tell the difference visually. I already opened the LRGB, they seem to have blackened edges, although not very carefully executed.

Of the narrowband filters, I only opened the Ha, and this one doesn't have a blackened edge or purple AR coating.

So I assume the LRGB are the new revision while the narrowband are not?

Sven

I would say that is the case, and note to you that those coatings are more important for narrowband than LRGB. Personally I would not pay good money for the older type narrow band filters. 

you can argue that they miss sold them to you if they did not stat that they are not the current version. just send them back under distance selling regulations. 

Adam

• Like 1

Hi Adam,

I was aleready on the phone with TS, the supporter was very helpful, did check this and that and called me back a couple of times. They will send me a new set.

I don't want to imply bad practices, and maybe something in their stock got mislabled or mixed up, but you have to wonder. How long are the new ones on the market? About a year, a bit longer?

Regarding LRGB filters, I cannot find any 'new' revision for the 31mm variant on ZWO's site. There only is the new and 1600-optimzed(?) threaded version.

Sven

1 hour ago, freiform said:

Hi Adam,

I was aleready on the phone with TS, the supporter was very helpful, did check this and that and called me back a couple of times. They will send me a new set.

I don't want to imply bad practices, and maybe something in their stock got mislabled or mixed up, but you have to wonder. How long are the new ones on the market? About a year, a bit longer?

Regarding LRGB filters, I cannot find any 'new' revision for the 31mm variant on ZWO's site. There only is the new and 1600-optimzed(?) threaded version.

Sven

Over a year. My impression was that they never changed the LRGB.

Edited by Adam J