Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lesson Learned - PHD Guide Scope Camera

Stickfarm8

I learned a painful lesson  (in terms of lost imaging opportunity!) regarding the image camera on my mount and thought I would share my rectal-cranial inversion experience. 

The guide camera is an Orion Star Shoot Autoguider Pro in a Orion Deluxe Mini 50mm guide scope.

At the time I was using PHD2 V2.2. I wanted to "tweak" the focus a bit before I got started image capture.  When I started trying to autoguide after image selection, it would appear to start ok, then the RA and Dec curves would diverge. After trying a number of things, I gave up and packed everything back in the house. The next afternoon I went to the PHD2 website, downloaded the newest version, 2.6.6, and installed it. Since it seemed to take all the information from the previous install, I thought I was all set.

Nope. Same result.

I tried running the guiding assistant and accepting its recommendations. Still no joy. Finally I clicked on the option to reset configuration on the global tab - which reset everything, rebuilt the darks, etc., went thru the calibration process, and bingo. 

Apparently without realizing it, I must have rotated the camera more than a few degrees when I was fixing something that wasn't broke. There is a nice download  - PHD2 Best Practices written by the developers that was helpful. Page 8 discusses when to recalibrate.

So I lost two nights of imaging, but learned a valuable lesson - and even read thru the manual for PHD2 which was well worth the time spent. It is well written. 

Having the autoguider and PHD2 working properly is so important.

Rich

Been there...done that....lol

I actually took my guide camera out to clean it, and didn't recalibrate afterwards.

Obviously PHDs idea of up/down and left/right did not match the new position of the camera.

If I had sound activated it was probably screaming...