Question regarding Star alignment and polar alignment.

Hi,

So I've some questions regarding my Skywatcher EQ5 Pro Syncscan GoTo..

I have polar aligned and it was just fine to be able to exposure Andromeda for 3 minutes without trails on my canon 70-200mm f2.8 with a x2 extender.

But what is the star alignment of the GoTo for? Can I do the star alignment INSTEAD of the polar alignment? Or do i have to do both?

And in which position does my camera have to sit in order to be able to star align? I mean.. it should know where my camera is facing, right?

1 hour ago, funkwalter said:

Hi,

So I've some questions regarding my Skywatcher EQ5 Pro Syncscan GoTo..

I have polar aligned and it was just fine to be able to exposure Andromeda for 3 minutes without trails on my canon 70-200mm f2.8 with a x2 extender.

But what is the star alignment of the GoTo for? Can I do the star alignment INSTEAD of the polar alignment? Or do i have to do both?

And in which position does my camera have to sit in order to be able to star align? I mean.. it should know where my camera is facing, right?

Hello and welcome to SGL. Polar alignment and star alignment are two separate things. Polar alignment aligns the mount's right ascension axis with the celestial pole whilst star alignment is required to align the mount with the stars so that the handset knows where to point the telescope when a goto command is initiated. Without doing a star alignment the handset will only have a basic knowledge of where the stars are in the sky based upon location, time and date entered into the handset . The star alignment will then allow the handset to map the stars positions on to the internal model of the sky. Polar alignment is still required so as to ensure that the mount can still accurately track after performing a goto,  

Archived