NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mounting battery on Dobsonian goto mount

Hi,  i was interested to know how most people install their battery pack on their goto mounts

Mainly on the Dobsonian goto mounts.

Can you install the battery actually on the turntable itself,    so that it actually goes around with the mount,  or will it be too much weight for the mount to work properly?

Or do i really have to have the battery sitting on the ground or separate from the mount all together?

The unit i have is the 16 inch Dobsonian goto mount.

I had the 10 inch version but had the battery separate from the mount due to room issues,  with this 16 inch mount,  i actually have room for a battery and got thinking it would be a lot neater and easier if it can be mounted and go around with the unit.

I have done some looking around but yet to see any specs on the weight limit of the turntable mount.

I have installed 3 fans on the primary mirror and made a larger eyepiece holder on the front to hold my other eyepieces,  apart from that all else is as it is.

Any recommendations or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Is that the 7AH powertank in the photo or the 17AH,   Any rough idea on the run time you are getting from that unit?

Been looking at those skywatcher ones for a while.

Currently at the moment just using an old motorcycle battery.