NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help/ZWO ASI071MC Pro or ZWO ASI1600MM

Andre

Good Day/Evening All

Please assist with my decision between the ZWO ASI071MC Pro (APS-C 23.6x15.6mm) or ZWO ASI1600MM(4/3" 17.7x13.4mm) cameras , I am seriously considering speaking to the bank manager for a loan to purchase either of the above mentioned cameras , temperature plays a huge roll as most of my images are taken at ccd/cmos temp between 22 - 30 Deg Celsius with my modded Canon 1100D.

I am currently using the following equipment :
Canon 11000D modded
Sw ED 80mm, WO 80 MM ED/APO / 0.8 Focal reducer
Sw 200mm F5 /1.1 Flatner
7NM HA Filter 2"

I am reasonably impressed with the H-Alpha results with the HA filter on my modded 1100D.

There is +- $200 difference in price , I am leaning towards the bigger sensor of the AI071MC , if any one has experience withe above cameras or has a view to share I would appreciate as these cameras do not come cheap at the current exchange rate of 16 Rand to the Dollar.

I have posted this question in other forums but have not found any replies from anyone that has experience with these cameras , unfortunately ccd cameras are out of the question as  they are to costly. 

I appreciate your input/advice.

Andre

Hi Andre 

You have selected the 1600MM which is mono and the 071MC which is colour , which do you think you would prefer,  I have both, the 1600mm I use for narrow band, most excellent camera, the 071MC colour I use for HyperStar which suits that application well. 

I like both, albeit the chip sizes are considerably different in size, if your happy to do filter wheel or changes then the 1600mm is great, just love doing Ha , O3 and S2.  For convenience the colour is very capable and very sensitive, I can easily burn out images on the 071MC at f2 HyperStar 

I also like the ASI software when using the colour camera , although I prefer Maxim for for the mono 

Richard

Hi Andre,

I have just got the 294MC Pro OSC and enjoying the convenience of the one shot system. One thing that helped my decision was to look closely at the camera/scope simulations and picking the sensor size that suited my favourite objects with my scopes. Then look at the cameras with that sized sensor whether mono or OSC.

OSC is an easy switch from a DSLR. Your DSLR and the 071 have similar physical sensor sizes so that would make the mental compositional shift easier. The mono 1600 has a 4/3rd's sensor but opens up the prospect of RGB and narrow band imaging with the same camera. There are multi narrow band filters for OSC cameras but from what I've seen of some prices you can get another camera + filters instead!

These was taken with my ASI294MC Pro:

M20_294MC_115EDT.jpg

NGC7023_31-subs2.jpg

• Like 1