NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Deep Sky Stacker - RAW/FITS White Balance Setting

Good evening all.  I've gotten my first set of lights, flats, darks, and bias files captured last night.  In setting up Deep Sky Stacker, I have been using this as a guide - http://www.astropix.com/html/j_digit/using_deepskystacker.html .  The author said -

• Raw files with a custom white balance – Use Camera White Balance

• Raw files without a custom white balance – Use Auto White Balance

But on the RAW/FITS setup dialog page - the Use Auto White Balance is greyed out. The  Use Camera White Balance, which, if I understand the setup instructions, is for use when you have a custom while balance is the only one of the two options that can be selected. 

Am I missing a setting somewhere or is this the only option now available ?

Thanks for any assistance.

Rich

Edited by Stickfarm8

The button was disabled in version 4.2.1

If you use an umodded camera or have an LP filter, set a custom white balance in camera.
If just a standard camera use daylight white balance, do not use auto white balance in camera.

In DSS just use camera white balance should be ok.

Thanks Mike.  Added that to my ever growing "check list". 

I have not had the 5D MkIII modified yet. However, the WB was set on Auto. This batch of images that I took of Eagle Nebula were so underexposed so I've got redo them anyway.  I've never been a fan of using histograms - but I've got to get over that, quickly <s>.

I am using a light polution filter - the Optolong L Pro, and it hit my exposures far more than I allowed for compared to the unfiltered stack I previously taken.  But at least I was able to have a complete set of images to finally try DSS, and even some of the steps in Photoshop to the DSS image.

Another question - I had followed the process outlined in Dark Art or Magic Bullets .  I did flats,  long with lights, bias, and darks - but not the dark flats that DSS includes as an image input type. Any  comment on the need to  do the dark flats as well as light flats ?

Thanks,

Rich

Looking at the Optolong filter the colour balance on a Macbeth chart seems pretty good.
If it is that good I would just use daylight white balance, auto white balance will tend to
give a different balance every shot.

The length of the flats will determine if you need dark flats, if the flats are quite short second or less,
may be not needed, over a second possibly. Try both ways and see if it makes a difference.

The camera histogram is a very good gauge on correct exposure, 20>25% for the peak should detach the
the histogram from the lefthand side.