SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Need help finishing my order - Skywatcher 72ED

I've decided to buy a small refractor before taxes will be applied on orders from England(I live in Denmark) and I've admired the Skywatcher Evostar 72ED DS-Pro for a long time... The included case is also a huge plus because of its size(airline portable) and its room for accessories although I could buy a custom case if any other scope is highly recommended over the evostar which brings me to my question..

I'll mostly use the scope for visual observing but it would be a plus if I could stick my Nikon D3300 in the back of it and mount it to my star adventurer at some point. I've read that many people have had trouble reaching focus with a 2" diagonal and since I only have one (rather heavy at 870g) 2" eyepiece I've settled on the Takahashi 1,25" diagonal which I've read some good things about, but I'm open for other recommendations at the 100£ range.
I do already have the adapters to mount my camera to my 10" dob(straight into the 2" focuser) and I'm wondering if this is enough for mounting it to the evostar and reaching focus?? I wont bother with flatteners yet since imaging with this scope wont be my main application for it.

If someone highly recommends me another scope in the same prize- and size range I'll of course listen carefully:) I've also seen good things about the TS-72 but it's too expensive for my liking.

I hope you can help my with my final decisions and if something is unclear in my questions feel free to ask:)

Hi Victor!

I recently bought the scope in question and have really been enjoying it so far. I use a 2 inch William Optics Diagonal + Baader Zoom and I have had no trouble reaching focus. However, for DSLR you will need an extension tube, I use a 50mm one and it works just fine. You might also need a longer dovetail to balance the scope properly for astrophotography. The Evostar is a very good grab and go scope to go with your Dobsonian and it definitely deserves my recommendation! The case is excellent, especially considering it is included with the scope. 😁

Clear Skies from Finland, 

Tomi

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AstroFin said:

Hi Victor!

I recently bought the scope in question and have really been enjoying it so far. I use a 2 inch William Optics Diagonal + Baader Zoom and I have had no trouble reaching focus. However, for DSLR you will need an extension tube, I use a 50mm one and it works just fine. You might also need a longer dovetail to balance the scope properly for astrophotography. The Evostar is a very good grab and go scope to go with your Dobsonian and it definitely deserves my recommendation! The case is excellent, especially considering it is included with the scope. 😁

Clear Skies from Finland, 

Tomi

Hi Tomi, I just bought the scope this morning and I'm very excited for it to arrive:) I'll post on here my first impressions. As for the extension I do have one from my dobsonian which might work:)

Victor