NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Initial Starnet test on M76 image

fwm891

Really impressed with an image I played with last night so I thought I'd have a look at the effects of the different Stride settings on an image containing nebulosity, brightish stars and small stars.

Bellow is a sheet showing the original luminance stack and the 4 stride images. Plus the individual Stride images.

Captured with SX Trius 825 through Altair 115 EDT-APO, processed in PI (aligned, stacked and STF).

Starnet_Stride comp test.jpg

M76_Lum_Crop_Stride_16.jpg

M76_Lum_Crop_Stride_32.jpg

M76_Lum_Crop_Stride_64.jpg

M76_Lum_Crop_Stride_128.jpg

Edited by fwm891
image added
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this. I was trying to test Sarnet myself but then thought, surely someone has already done the test :)

Saved me a lot of time.

From your results, it looks to me that STRIDE affects the background as well as the stars. The higher the number the smoother the background. Unless that's just my laptop screen :)

Edited by Star101

9 minutes ago, Star101 said:

Thanks for this. I was trying to test Sarnet myself but then thought, surely someone has already done the test :)

Saved me a lot of time.

From your results, it looks to me that STRIDE affects the background as well as the stars. The higher the number the smoother the background. Unless that's just my laptop screen :)

For me the stride 64 seemed best on this image. They're quite small crops so the effects are probably exaggerated to some extent. Not thried it but I think you can enter your own stride settings.

• Like 1