Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DIY in ground pier construction and metal pier options?

I'm about to do the digging to get a pier installed in my SW PA yard.  From what i've read i need to go 36-48" deep to get beyond the frost line.

I have a basic understanding of the steps involved and equipment needed.

I'm looking for input on the footer part where you put the j bolts in the cement, for figuring out what type of metal pier to attach or how you know the layout of the bolts if you dont already have the pier?

Also trying to figure out the best way to put the cement in the ground but have it at least partially removed if we move (2-6 years).  Ill be putting a 12x12 or so wood deck around this pier, but the ground slopes downhill, meaning the part where the cement pier will be will need to be at least 12-16" above the ground level to meet the floor of the deck.  And that said if i add a dome with 52" walls, would imply a 52" tall metal pier? (trying to be economical on the pier, i've seen some ioptrons at $400 but they are 36")

Any suggestions on the above?

Side notes: this pier might one day hold 46 to 90lbs of payload, 46 more likely and for now only 20-25.

Here is my basic understanding on this process:

Dig a 16" square hole going down 4 feet (using a machine) (not sure if needs be 16")

Put 4 rebar maybe 5.5' in length into hole (pounded in makes 1 foot above ground?)  along with rebar stirrup hoops one near bottom, one near top

Get an unknown amount of bags of cement (80lb each) to fill the hole and come up out the ground 12" (maybe 10 bags?) - rent a mixer too

Create some sort of plywood or other wood box above ground (unsure on what to get to square it off 12-16" above ground, maybe 2x12s or 2x16s? or just playwood and cut)

Create the plywood rig with 1/2" to 3/4" galvanized bolts 6" long and put the J side down into the cement and wait 48 to cure then remove the plywood (the how to remove unclear on), i think assumes have pier to use as template.

Place metal pier directly on concrete footer, or maybe some sort of riser plate if not tall enough?

14 minutes ago, pete_l said:

I'd have a word with local builders. See how deep they feel it is necessary to go for footings on buildings such as sheds or raised decks.

Well for deck posts its 2', i checked with someone around here and its what i did for the deck posts on my existing deck, but i think the pier might be different.

I just realized at least via high point scientific, ioptron piers can be customized to the height required (around $680 total), you just specify how tall you want it, so i guess if i put the concrete flush at ground level and had the deck 12" above, i could specify a pier that was (for nexdome) 62-64" high, or less in height plus a pier extension depending on which gem mount i go with.

On 01/07/2019 at 21:10, theskyisthelimit99 said:

I'm about to do the digging to get a pier installed in my SW PA yard.  From what i've read i need to go 36-48" deep to get beyond the frost line.

I have a basic understanding of the steps involved and equipment needed.

I'm looking for input on the footer part where you put the j bolts in the cement, for figuring out what type of metal pier to attach or how you know the layout of the bolts if you dont already have the pier?

Also trying to figure out the best way to put the cement in the ground but have it at least partially removed if we move (2-6 years).  Ill be putting a 12x12 or so wood deck around this pier, but the ground slopes downhill, meaning the part where the cement pier will be will need to be at least 12-16" above the ground level to meet the floor of the deck.  And that said if i add a dome with 52" walls, would imply a 52" tall metal pier? (trying to be economical on the pier, i've seen some ioptrons at $400 but they are 36")

Any suggestions on the above?

Side notes: this pier might one day hold 46 to 90lbs of payload, 46 more likely and for now only 20-25.

Here is my basic understanding on this process:

Dig a 16" square hole going down 4 feet (using a machine) (not sure if needs be 16")

Put 4 rebar maybe 5.5' in length into hole (pounded in makes 1 foot above ground?)  along with rebar stirrup hoops one near bottom, one near top

Get an unknown amount of bags of cement (80lb each) to fill the hole and come up out the ground 12" (maybe 10 bags?) - rent a mixer too

Create some sort of plywood or other wood box above ground (unsure on what to get to square it off 12-16" above ground, maybe 2x12s or 2x16s? or just playwood and cut)

Create the plywood rig with 1/2" to 3/4" galvanized bolts 6" long and put the J side down into the cement and wait 48 to cure then remove the plywood (the how to remove unclear on), i think assumes have pier to use as template.

Place metal pier directly on concrete footer, or maybe some sort of riser plate if not tall enough?

Hi there.

I know Pittsburgh can get pretty cold in winter, so it would be best to make sure the hole is deep enough to remain stable. However, what's the worst that could happen? The footing moves slightly and you would need to go back and re-align the mount?  Is the rebar another requirement for managing the frost? 

With thoughts of removing part of it in the future, rebar does mean the concrete breaker you need to hire gets a whole lot bigger...

The maximum future payload weight of 90lbs is similar to one I am doing now and I would guess the current mount would also be upgraded to suit? So the top plate of the pier needs to be thought out a little too.

On your current questions, the easy stuff to use for "shuttering" the concrete above ground is the cheap shelving - plastic covered chipboard. Just needs cutting into 4 pieces and screwed together (DO NOT GLUE..) After a day or two, simply knock it off with a smallish hammer. It will not stick to the concrete very well and so no issue. My last shutter I made them too long so they overlap at the corners and after unscrewing one corner, they came off really easy.

For the pier... Pittsburgh is in engineering and steelmaking country. I would expect there are a hundred fabrication shops that could weld up a pier to suit at any height you need. Probably a 2-day turnaround... For half the price of one ready-made... Be worth a look...

SGL is loaded with builds, have a good look around, I am sure most of your questions are answered somewhere in the threads...

Good luck,

Gordon.