NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Barlows and red dot finder

I've got a couple of topics I'd like some advice on please. I have a Skywatcher BK1309 reflector and have already started to upgrade the standard equipment that came with it. I purchased a couple of Celestron X-Cel eyepieces (12mm and 25mm) to replace the stock ones. They are excellent and I'm glad I got them. I am now looking to buy a nice Barlow and am probably going to get the X-Cell model as well. I can only afford one for now, so should I get the 2x or 3x to begin with? What are the advantages of one over the other?

I also think I should perhaps look to upgrade the red dot finder which came with my telescope. Is this actually worthwhile? I am looking at the Sky-Watcher 9x50 Finderscope. Will this make a big difference? The price is good (£39 from FLO), so I think its a small price to pay if it actually out performs my red dot finder. Perhaps there is another finder scope out there which is better than this though for about the same price? Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks everyone

I would go for the 2x barlow. With visual there generally isn't a great deal of need for a 3x unless you have a very short focal length telescope, which yours isn't. As a personal preference I would go for a Powermate/Focal extender over a barlow but the X-Cel barlows are of good quality if you prefer for all your accessories to match.

With regards to the finderscope, I personally prefer to use a RACI finder over a straight through one, as the viewing position is more comfortable, but this does require an RDF as well for the initial finding, so you will have to add another finder shoe to your telescope. Alternatively, the Rigel Quickfinder comes with self adhesive bases which are easy to apply (as does the Telrad, but I suspect it would be too large for your scope). Adding heavier finders does change the weight distribution but as your scope is in rings this won't be a problem, you'll just have to shift it back in the rings a small amount to get the correct balance.

• Like 1

Red-dot finders and optical finders do different jobs, and on a bigger scope it is often useful to fit both.  One often feels the need of a red-dot finder to get objects in the FOV of a 9x50 finder on a telescope with no handy open sighting points.  Playing "Where's Jupiter" when you can see it plainly with the naked eye is annoying.

I have a 9x50 RACI and like it.

On a small scope a 9x50 may be overkill and you might do better to stick with the red-dot, or if you hate the red-dot, a 6x30 optical finder.

• Like 1