Light pollution filter options?

Hello, how can I implement a light pollution filter into this setup?

Explore Scientific 80 mm Essential ED Triplet Refractor

High Point 2" Camera Adapter

Nikon T-Ring for 35mm SLR Cameras 

Nikon D7100

I don't think they make clipin filters for nikons, so is the solution a 2" threaded filter? But does this throw off the required distance between optical elements if I get a field flattener?

I use Canon, so no idea about clip ins for Nikon.

For the 2" filter, it depends on your focuser: if your connection is purely screw-in, then I wouldn't venture to screw your camera adapter in the filter and it to the focuser: only a couple of threads would get the full load on them, you can expect flexure at the least... This is why i passed to full clip ins in my setup. 

But if it's a traditional focuser, you could screw the filter in front of the reducer (i.e. on objective side) thus it would not impact the reducer backfocus. 

Fabio

15 hours ago, FaDG said:

I use Canon, so no idea about clip ins for Nikon.

For the 2" filter, it depends on your focuser: if your connection is purely screw-in, then I wouldn't venture to screw your camera adapter in the filter and it to the focuser: only a couple of threads would get the full load on them, you can expect flexure at the least... This is why i passed to full clip ins in my setup. 

But if it's a traditional focuser, you could screw the filter in front of the reducer (i.e. on objective side) thus it would not impact the reducer backfocus. 

Fabio

Thanks for the reply! How can I tell if my focuser is screw-in or traditional?

10 minutes ago, FaDG said:

Send us a photo, but simply: do you screw the camera adapter in the focuser thread or do you insert the 2" nose inside the focuser? 

Ah, well my camera adapter slides and locks into the telescope focuser, and the other end is 2" threaded to accept the dslr t-ring. So the filter would go there, between the t-ring and adapter.

Does that present any issues with flexing?

Archived