NGC 1499 California Nebula HSO & Starless

SamAndrew

Posted an Ha mosaic of this one last week, here it is with questionably framed SII and OIII data added. 

I like the colour, but really need more data to control the noise. 

3 hours of Ha, 50 minutes of OIII (not detecting any signal), & 2.5 hours of SII.

Starless version created with StarNet++

Shot with my Star 71 & ASI 1600mm on an AZEQ5.

Thanks for looking

Sam

NGC 1499 HSO.jpg

NGC_1499_HSO_starless.jpg

Hi Sam

Well done Sam - you have a very well focused image and have captured some great detail in the nebula with its shockfronts and rippled texture.  Star control is very good.

OIII data tends to be quite noisy I'm afraid and subject to moonlight, so makes it problematic to collect and process. There is some faint OIII signal off to one side of the main nebula - good hunting!  You could always try some NR to the OIII in the linear state before combining.

What length subs were you using?  Have you experimented with with what length you can go ti before your LP effects the contrats/gradients?  More data is key as you say (as well as using NR processes).

You could always try a two panel mosaic in Ha to capture the whole nebula as this target makes a fabulous mono.

Sorry Sam - just seen your magnificant image of the full nebula, I like it.  Top stuff ?.

Archived